It's been a while since I've worked on the Stude.. I figure I should get a little more done before going to this years Goodguys event in NC. I'm finishing up the door jams where I installed the Bear Claws.
This shows the emergency entry, and wire (power windows & door latch) looms going through the door jam. The pass side loom is centered in the indent in the jam, but this side i had to fit them both. I will only have an emg. entry in the drivers side.
The next pix show the module for the remote and the remote. There are 5 channels (the 5th channel is holding #1 & #3 together). The module is mounted under the dash.
Here is a link if you want to see it work. http://media.putfile.com/Studebaker-Shaved-Door-Handles
Now I need to clean up around the latches, doing more welding. Then weld up to doors to fill the holes. I also will need to locate the emg. entry under the car somewhere.
The first task was to get the doors lined up perfectly. This was a job since the doors have never been off. Many of the Phillips head screw were stripping out. I ended up cutting a slot, with a die grinder, on a few of the screws so I could use a big flat screwdriver. A few of them I actually welded a pc of round stock on the head of the door screw, then a "T" piece onto that. This gave me enought leverage to break the bolt loose. Then i just cut the round stock off and cleaned up the bolt. I was able to reuse all the bolts but one.
I got to doors lined up, i'll need to go back and fill in around the doors to make the gap the same all the way around, but that will come later.
Here are the latches roughed in. Pretty easy, just have to make sure everything lines up good.
While I have the dash out, I decided to work on the remote doors. It's much easier to do wiring with the dash out. I have new power bear claw latches, the mounting brackets, the emergency entry kit and the remotes. Here are a few pix of the old latches... they were getting bad, and another pic of the new latch.