Since the Willys has a tilt-front and there are no fixed inner fenders, the hoses need to be either supported from the frame or the engine itself. I decided to make up a bracket for the hose separators so that the hoses would be supported from the right valve cover studs. Two strips were made from stainless flat stock and attached to the studs. The hose separators were in turn attached to the brackets. I decided to add an additional strip between the two brackets in order to stiffen up the assembly and prevent the brackets from swiveling on the studs. The last three photos show the completed hose separator clamps with mounting bracket, and finally the hoses installed. The top hose is the heater hose return line, the middle hose is the radiator vent line, and the bottom hose is the A/C line from the condenser/drier to the evaporator.
I wanted to hold the A/C and heater hoses in place using some hose separator clamps similar to the ones I used for the fuel lines. The trouble was that I needed a separator for three hoses, and each hose was a different diameter. Since no separators were commercially available, I decided to make my own. I started out with some 1/2” x 3/4” aluminum barstock cut into 6” long strips. The strips were welded together at the ends to hold them together during machining. The centerline of each hole was marked on the stock and the drilling was started. I was able to use a step drill for most of the machining. The largest hole was through-drilled, since it was the largest diameter of the step drill. The two smaller holes needed to be drilled halfway through each side. A straight carbide cutter mounted in the drill press was used to open up the two smaller holes to the correct diameter. The third photo shows the separator assembly after all holes were drilled.
In order to keep the separator halves clamped together and also to attach them to a bracket, holes were drilled and tapped between the hose openings. Once all of the drilling procedures were done, I was able to cut the ends off of the aluminum blanks where they were welded together. This gave me two hose clamp halves. I made up a total of two of these separators, and the last photo shows the completed separator clamps. Later on they will be finished to match the fuel line clamps.
For the heater hoses, I picked an Aeroquip hose and push-on hose ends. The hose is outwardly similar to, and matches the A/C hose in appearance. The hose ends are from XRP and will also use an optional hose clamp that looks similar to the A/C hose clips. The second photo shows one of the assembled heater hoses. This one is to/from the radiator expansion tank mounted on the firewall. It connects to a bulkhead tee at the firewall. Inside the firewall, the bulkhead tee is attached to the outlet from the heater core. Both the heater outlet and the expansion tank return through one hose back to the water pump inlet.
The heater inlet hose originates from the left cylinder head, and goes through the firewall using a 90 degree bulkhead fitting. Inside the firewall, the heater hose goes through the water inlet valve and then to the heater core connection. There was not a lot of room left under/behind the dash to route the hoses, but I got them tucked up as best as possible.
The last photo shows the completed layout of the heater, A/C, and radiator vent hose routing near the front of the engine.
Due to space limitations, I wasn’t able to use the typical 4-hose bulkhead connection for both the AC and heater hoses. The bulkhead connector for the two A/C hoses mounts through the right firewall “horn” on the Willys. Inside the firewall, a couple of 45 degree fittings were used to route the hoses up to the evaporator connections. Two more 45 degree fittings were used at the evaporator to complete the hose routing. The smaller #6 line is the liquid refrigerant line to the evaporator, and the larger #10 line is the (gas) return to the compressor. Last photo shows the finished #8 compressor discharge line back to the condenser.
After looking at a few different A/C hose types, I decided on using the Aeroquip E-Z Clip system. It’s do-it-yourself with no need to have the hoses crimped. By making up all of the hose ends myself, I was able to make sure that each hose end was oriented correctly and at the exact length I wanted. Also, I didn’t need to make up all of the hoses and take them to a shop to have all the ends crimped with the chance that one of the ends would be incorrectly installed orientation-wise. Besides, I think these ends look a lot better than those crimp collars and definitely better than the stainless braided stuff.
The first photo shows all of the individual pieces needed to make up the hose end: The A/C barrier hose, the hose end, a cage, two clips and the installing pliers. First the hose end nipple is lubricated with A/C-compatible lubricant, and the hose is slipped on. If the other end of the hose is still bare, you can wait to slip the clips onto the hose. Otherwise you need to make sure that they are slipped on the hose before inserting the hose onto the hose end. Next, the cage is installed by snapping it into a groove on the hose end. Two clips are then slipped on the hose and positioned over the grooves in the cage. Using the pliers, the clips are compressed and snap closed. The two clips are positioned directly over the two O-rings on the hose end to provide the seal. The hose end assembly is now complete.