Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: steve392's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View steve392's profile Entries: 226
Views: 111615
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (46): 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

05-22-2015 08:44 AM Willys - Ready for Interior
The Willys is ready to go to the trim shop. The Tea's seats have been installed, along with the roll bar, shifter, pedals, and dash. There will be a full length console, which will house the stereo, A/C controls, and power window switches. Shift lever is a Gennie Shifter. The second and third photos also show an aluminum plate that was bonded to the interior door panel. This will be used as reinforcement for the arm rest/door pull.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #221]

05-22-2015 08:41 AM Willys - Ready for Interior
Up until now, the Willys had been up on the Kwik Lift. Now it was time to get it down off of the lift and prep it for the interior shop. The lift has proven invaluable in building this car. Here are a few photos of the Willys on and off the lift, and a photo of the ready to be upholstered trunk area.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #220]

05-22-2015 08:38 AM Willys - Door Handles
Before going to the interior shop, the interior door handles needed to be located and installed. I found a good spot on the door for the handle, directly in line with the latch assembly. I was not using the stock handle mechanism that was supplied with the body, so a mounting plate was fabricated to adapt the new lever-type handles to the inner fiberglass molded panel. The mounting plate was bolted to the inner door panel, and the door handle was then bolted to the mounting plate. I was able to use the original return spring, but the latch actuation rod was replaced with a flexible cable. The new handle is spaced out far enough for the door panel to be fit correctly.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #219]

05-22-2015 08:33 AM Willys - Fuel Tank Vent
The fuel tank needs to be vented to the outside of the vehicle and I decided to use aluminum tubing from the top of the tank, down through the trunk floor, ending in a breather filter. A space was found on the underside of the body next to the fuel lines where a small filter could be located. The tubing was routed up as high as possible on the rear bulkhead, which is just about even with the filler connection. The tubing extends through the floor about an inch. The end of the tubing was slightly flared to keep the breather in place. The breather itself is a small K-N clamp-on unit. The last photo shows the completed installation. The vent connection on the tank is -8AN, the vent tube is -6AN. I've read a lot regarding fuel tank vents, and the use of a looped vent line to control fumes is something I''m not convinced will make a big difference. This is one of those things that may need to be revised later on; perhaps even some kind of charcoal canister setup will be needed.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #218]

05-22-2015 08:27 AM Willys - Sub Dash
These photos show the completion of the sub dash. The first two photos show the cutout made for the column drop, and the A/C vents installed. The third photo shows the cutout for the switch panel used for the lights and wipers. I modified a Vintage Air Control unit (so that these switches would match the Vintage Air control panel) with different switches. These switches will control headlights, wipers, dimmer, and courtesy lighting. The fourth photo shows the holes being drilled for pushbutton switches which will control the latches for the tilt front end, line lock and trunk latch. The last two photos show the finished sub-dash with all cutouts made, and the dash assembled in the Willys. We're still undecided on whether or not the sub dash will be painted or left as a brushed finish. The plan right now is to leave it unpainted until after the interior is done to see how it looks. If we don't like it, we'll paint it to match the dash. It all depends on the contrast with the rest of the aluminum colored pieces.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #217]

Pages (46): 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46