Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: steve392's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View steve392's profile Entries: 204
Views: 90399
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

11-19-2009 04:15 PM Willys Interior - Windshield Wipers
With some careful hand bending the aluminum tube between the wiper motor and first transmission was fit into place. The wood frame was cut out as needed to keep the tubing tucked away and not in the way of any interior finishing. Upon final assembly, the tubing will be epoxied into the cutouts in the wood frame to keep it from moving. The right wiper transmission was located and installed in the same manner.
Second and third pictures show the before/after wiper drive shaft and threaded post installation. Post and shaft were cut off according to instructions.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #109]

11-19-2009 04:03 PM Willys Interior - Windshield Wipers
The aluminum tube needs to be flared at each end in order for it to seat correctly in the transmission housing.
The first photo shows how the tube flare sits into a groove in the drive cable housing and how the rotary motion of the motor is converted to the back-and-forth motion of the drive cable, just like a piston in a cylinder. Different holes in the disc will give different sweep angles of the wiper blades.
The second photo is a closeup of the wiper transmission with the backing plate removed. The tubing flare sits into a groove in the transmission halves and is locked into position when the halves are bolted together. Also seen is the drive cable meshing with the wiper drive gear. This whole assembly gets greased liberally so that the cable slides back and forth easily inside the tubing.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #108]

11-19-2009 03:46 PM Willys Interior - Windshield Wipers
With the wiper arm located, the wiper transmission was mounted next. The Outlaw Willys body has a wood frame running around the interior portion of the windshield opening, and this would be a good place to mount the transmission.First photo shows 3/8" hole drilled straight through frame and body. I decided to inlet the wiper transmission into the wood frame so that it would be flush with face of the frame for a few reasons. First, the wood was thick enough to do without weakening it, the transmission would be better supported, and most importantly, there would be no bulge sticking out of the finished headliner.
Second photo shows the frame carved out after a few minutes work with a router.
The last photo shows the transmission installed flush with the wood frame.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #107]

11-19-2009 03:34 PM Willys Interior - Windshield Wipers
The wipers can be made to swing anywhere from 90 degrees to 150 degrees. These three photos show my trial and error method of determining the maximum swing of the blades without hitting the windshield rubber. I made an adjustable protractor-like device out of cardboard and tried a few different sweep angles. Final sweep was determined to be 120 degrees.
Regardless of which sweep angle I used, the wiper arms and blades would need to be cut down as they were too long to be used on the Willys windshield. SPW gave instructions on how to shorten the arms. Each arm was shortened by 1/2", and each blade end was also shortened by 1/2" to get the blades to keep from hitting the windshield rubber.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #106]

11-19-2009 03:23 PM Willys Interior - Windshield Wipers
The next thing to install behind the dash was the windshield wiper motor and drive assembly. I made use of the firewall frame that I made for the brake pedal assembly again by adding a few pieces of 3/4" angle to the top bar and mounting the wiper motor to it. The wiper kit is courtesy of the NSRA prize giveaway that I won at the York show this past spring. A very nice unit made by Specialty Power Windows.
The first photo shows the wiper motor unit bolted up to the firewall frame. That big hole in the right bracket which also supports the a/c unit is so that I can reach the hex nut that attaches the frame to the stud on the firewall.
Second photo shows the motor and frame installed back on the firewall. SPW supplies two 36" long aluminum tubes that the drive cable slides though to power the wiper transmissions above the windshield. Instructions also state that the maximum distance from the motor to the first wiper be 36", which is the length of the tube supplied. So I ran a piece of plastic tubing 36" long along the left side of the pillar and up along the top of the windshield to see where the first wiper transmission would be, which is shown in the second picture.
Now I know that I kind of did this backwards. The first priority should have been to locate the wiper where I wanted it on the windshield, and work back from there to mount the motor, but the motor couldn't really be located anywhere else than where I put it.
As it turns out, the wiper location worked out well. I had decided to mount the wipers above the windshield, with the blades parked to the right and swinging left. Final location of the left wiper turned out to be centered on the drivers seat/steering column.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #105]

Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41