Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: steve392's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View steve392's profile Entries: 204
Views: 98946
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

11-19-2009 10:36 AM Willys Interior - Brake/Clutch Pedals
The bracket for the Kugel m/c assembly needed to be shortened a bit to fit between the horizontal bars of the frame. Holes were drilled in the frame and bolts inserted from the back and welded in place to make two studs on which the top of the bracket bolts to. On the bottom of the bracket, a piece of 3/4" angle was added with bolts running vertically down through the frame. Grade 8 bolts were used for strength.
First and second pictures show location of bracket on frame, and last picture shows frame and bracket mounted back inside the vehicle.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #94]

11-19-2009 10:29 AM Willys Interior - Brake/Clutch Pedals
With the steel framework for the firewall done, and the new trans tunnel/toe/floorboard in place, the brake & clutch master cylinder assembly location could be finalized.
The gas pedal was located as far over to the right as possible, but still leaving room for insulation and carpeting between the pedal and trans hump.
A piece of PVC pipe was put into the column drop and floor swivel to take the place of the steering column for mock-up purposes, and the m/c bracket located.
First pic shows the completed trans tunnel with the gas pedal installed and firewall framework in place.
Second pic shows the m/c bracket clamped in place to check fit-up. The plan was to be able to space the pedal arms equidistant from the steering column for a symmetrical installation. This worked out well, with enough room left between the brake pedal and gas pedal. The pedals I chose to use are also adjustable side-to-side if necessary.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #93]

11-19-2009 08:23 AM Willys Interior - Firewall Framework
The firewall reinforcing was complete after all of the ply was epoxied in place and covered with a layer of 'glass mat. I now had secure mounting points on the firewall for the framework.
First pic shows the cowl area with the ply and studs glassed in place.
Second picture shows the completed reinforcement with the framework bolted in place. Frame is just tack-welded together for now. Now I can locate the master cylinder assembly on the frame.
Last picture is actually getting ahead a little...This is the finished frame, all welded up and ready for some paint. I ended up using this frame for a lot more than just the m/c assembly. More on that in the next journal entry.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #92]

11-19-2009 08:11 AM Willys Interior - Firewall Framework
Once the plywood reinforcement was epoxied into place, I added a layer of fiberglass mat over the ply and overlapped it onto the surrounding fiberglass. Now the mounting points are integral with the body and will provide a strong mount for the framework.
First pic shows the ply in the horn area after the fiberglass was applied.
Second picture shows the overall layout of the reinforcing points and the plywood installed.
Last picture shows the 'glass mat cut to size and ready for resin.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #91]

11-19-2009 08:04 AM Willys Interior - Firewall Framework
I still needed a way to attach the frame to the firewall area of the body. I wanted to be able to bolt it to the body at various points for a positive attachment.
The Willys has two "horns" that project forward on each side of the firewall, and also has a flat area just under the cowl that was perfect to use for mounting points for the frame.
I used 1/2" MDO plywood for the reinforcement, with a bolt installed through the back of the ply which would make a good mounting stud for the frame.
First picture shows the plywood and bolt epoxied to the horn area.
Second and third pictures show the plywood in the cowl area and the how the frame will bolt to the studs.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #90]

Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41