Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: steve392's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View steve392's profile Entries: 204
Views: 96338
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

11-19-2009 06:47 AM Willys Interior - Firewall Framework
As mentioned in an earlier journal entry, I am using a Kugel under-dash brake and clutch master cylinder assembly. The problem was coming up with a secure mount for the unit. The fiberglass firewall was certainly not stiff enough to bolt the assembly directly to it, so I came up with the idea of building a steel framework that would attach to the firewall and provide a strong mounting point.
The first picture shows the mock-up of the assembly on the firewall. This part of the firewall is fairly thin and not suitable to mount anything to.
The second picture shows some 1" square wood that I used to get an idea of how to build the framework.
The last picture shows the frame as cut out of 1" square tubing ready to be welded together.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #89]

07-22-2009 09:01 AM Willys - Trans Tunnel Rework
The outside of the floor/tunnel was done in the same way, but only one layer of mat was used, followed by body filler. The entire outside was then sanded down, and the hole for the shifter was located and cut out. A trial fit showed that everything was okay, so a few coats of epoxy primer finished off the project. It took a lot of time to do this, especially for a one-off part, but the final result was worth it.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #88]

07-22-2009 08:56 AM Willys - Trans Tunnel Rework
The first pic shows how the new piece will fit into the original floorboard. I cut and fit the new hump into the existing piece, and then sanded a groove into the pieces where they butt together. The first layer of 'glass was only a thin strip to cover the seam, followed up by a wider strip for the second layer.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #87]

07-22-2009 08:46 AM Willys - Trans Tunnel Rework
First pic shows what it looked like after the first coat of 'glass. I used 1.5 oz. mat and polyester resin. I did a total of three layers of 'glass and resin, which matched up to the thickness of the floorboard. Second pic shows finished part. The dotted line is where I need to cut to match up to the floorboard.
The new part popped off of the plug with no problem, so the time spent waxing and adding mold release paid off.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #86]

07-22-2009 08:39 AM Willys - Trans Tunnel Rework
The first pic shows how much room I will be saving. Over 1 1/2" on each side. This will allow me to locate the gas pedal further over to the right, which in turn will give me more room for the clutch and brake pedals.
Body filler was applied over the entire plug and sanded down. I added a fillet around the outside edge because I needed to make a flat flange around the hump to match up to the flat sections of the existing fiberglass floorboard that I was re-using.
The entire plug was then covered with a coating of epoxy resin, followed with multiple coats of wax and PVA mold release.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #85]

Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.