The wipers can be made to swing anywhere from 90 degrees to 150 degrees. These three photos show my trial and error method of determining the maximum swing of the blades without hitting the windshield rubber. I made an adjustable protractor-like device out of cardboard and tried a few different sweep angles. Final sweep was determined to be 120 degrees.
Regardless of which sweep angle I used, the wiper arms and blades would need to be cut down as they were too long to be used on the Willys windshield. SPW gave instructions on how to shorten the arms. Each arm was shortened by 1/2", and each blade end was also shortened by 1/2" to get the blades to keep from hitting the windshield rubber.
The next thing to install behind the dash was the windshield wiper motor and drive assembly. I made use of the firewall frame that I made for the brake pedal assembly again by adding a few pieces of 3/4" angle to the top bar and mounting the wiper motor to it. The wiper kit is courtesy of the NSRA prize giveaway that I won at the York show this past spring. A very nice unit made by Specialty Power Windows.
The first photo shows the wiper motor unit bolted up to the firewall frame. That big hole in the right bracket which also supports the a/c unit is so that I can reach the hex nut that attaches the frame to the stud on the firewall.
Second photo shows the motor and frame installed back on the firewall. SPW supplies two 36" long aluminum tubes that the drive cable slides though to power the wiper transmissions above the windshield. Instructions also state that the maximum distance from the motor to the first wiper be 36", which is the length of the tube supplied. So I ran a piece of plastic tubing 36" long along the left side of the pillar and up along the top of the windshield to see where the first wiper transmission would be, which is shown in the second picture.
Now I know that I kind of did this backwards. The first priority should have been to locate the wiper where I wanted it on the windshield, and work back from there to mount the motor, but the motor couldn't really be located anywhere else than where I put it.
As it turns out, the wiper location worked out well. I had decided to mount the wipers above the windshield, with the blades parked to the right and swinging left. Final location of the left wiper turned out to be centered on the drivers seat/steering column.
Just visible in the first photo is a set screw that I installed in the bottom rod half that goes through a hole in the bottom plastic bearing half and snugs up against the steering column for a little added support. The black plastic "bearing" is a nice contrast between all of that aluminum.
Second photo shows the finished job. Cool.....
Now I needed to find a suitable material to make up the 1/8" gap between the column and the rod. The gap was too big to use an oversize rod bearing, and it would be seen, so I needed to find something that was hard enough to securely grip the column but still be somewhat easy to make and look good too.
The answer was some black ABS plastic sheet that was about 5/32" thick, which would be made in two pieces and fit between the column and rod just like a bearing.
First thing to do was to bend the plastic to fit the curvature of the column. I screwed one end of the plastic to a piece of 2" PVC pipe, applied a little persuasion with a heat gun, and the plastic formed itself into perfect bearing halves as shown in the first photo.
The second photo shows a completed bearing half installed in the end of the rod. I even left a little extra plastic sticking up at each end of the bearing half to give it a little "crush" when the cap was bolted down tight, just like the real thing.
The third photo shows the completed assembly. Since the plastic was a little thicker than I needed, the i.d was sanded down carefully on a drum sander until the column fit snugly.
Now that the rod was cut to length and the mounting bracket fabricated, I drilled and tapped two holes in the end of the rod as shown in the first photo.
The second photo shows the finished bracket for the column drop welded in place.
The last photo shows the completed connecting rod column drop. Some final sanding/buffing will finish it off.