Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: steve392's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View steve392's profile Entries: 226
Views: 112356
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (46): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

11-19-2009 09:58 AM Willys Interior - Brake/Clutch Plumbing
The hard line from the brake m/c's is 3/16" s.s. with -3AN fittings, which is the same as the rest of the brake line plumbing. Since I didn't want to make a mistake bending the stainless tubing, I used some inexpensive steel brake tubing to first plan out and bend into shape. Once I was satisfied with the routing and dimensions, I duplicated the line in stainless. The lines were routed down under the m/c's and away from the pedals over to the bulkhead fittings.
First two photos are tube bending in progress, and the last photo is the finished result with the two brake hard lines and the clutch flex line.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #96]

11-19-2009 09:49 AM Willys Interior - Brake/Clutch Plumbing
Since the master cylinders are the remote type, I picked this remote reservoir unit, also from Kugel. I mounted it to the firewall in a location high enough that would ensure gravity flow from the reservoir to the m/c inlet, but still give me hood clearance.
I decided to use some -4AN flex brake line from the reservoir
outlets to the m/c inlets. Kugel had supplied some rubber hose and plastic fittings for the purpose, but I elected to go this way instead. More leak-free in my opinion.
First pic shows the reservoir mounted to the firewall.
Second pic shows lines from reservoir to m/c inlets.
Third pic shows the bulkhead fittings I am using at the firewall. I thought that this would be the cleanest way to transfer from the inside of the vehicle to the outside. I will be using hard line from the m/c outlets to the brakes, and flex line for the clutch.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #95]

11-19-2009 09:36 AM Willys Interior - Brake/Clutch Pedals
The bracket for the Kugel m/c assembly needed to be shortened a bit to fit between the horizontal bars of the frame. Holes were drilled in the frame and bolts inserted from the back and welded in place to make two studs on which the top of the bracket bolts to. On the bottom of the bracket, a piece of 3/4" angle was added with bolts running vertically down through the frame. Grade 8 bolts were used for strength.
First and second pictures show location of bracket on frame, and last picture shows frame and bracket mounted back inside the vehicle.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #94]

11-19-2009 09:29 AM Willys Interior - Brake/Clutch Pedals
With the steel framework for the firewall done, and the new trans tunnel/toe/floorboard in place, the brake & clutch master cylinder assembly location could be finalized.
The gas pedal was located as far over to the right as possible, but still leaving room for insulation and carpeting between the pedal and trans hump.
A piece of PVC pipe was put into the column drop and floor swivel to take the place of the steering column for mock-up purposes, and the m/c bracket located.
First pic shows the completed trans tunnel with the gas pedal installed and firewall framework in place.
Second pic shows the m/c bracket clamped in place to check fit-up. The plan was to be able to space the pedal arms equidistant from the steering column for a symmetrical installation. This worked out well, with enough room left between the brake pedal and gas pedal. The pedals I chose to use are also adjustable side-to-side if necessary.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #93]

11-19-2009 07:23 AM Willys Interior - Firewall Framework
The firewall reinforcing was complete after all of the ply was epoxied in place and covered with a layer of 'glass mat. I now had secure mounting points on the firewall for the framework.
First pic shows the cowl area with the ply and studs glassed in place.
Second picture shows the completed reinforcement with the framework bolted in place. Frame is just tack-welded together for now. Now I can locate the master cylinder assembly on the frame.
Last picture is actually getting ahead a little...This is the finished frame, all welded up and ready for some paint. I ended up using this frame for a lot more than just the m/c assembly. More on that in the next journal entry.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #92]

Pages (46): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.