Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: steve392's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View steve392's profile Entries: 226
Views: 113852
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (46): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

07-22-2009 08:46 AM Willys - Trans Tunnel Rework
First pic shows what it looked like after the first coat of 'glass. I used 1.5 oz. mat and polyester resin. I did a total of three layers of 'glass and resin, which matched up to the thickness of the floorboard. Second pic shows finished part. The dotted line is where I need to cut to match up to the floorboard.
The new part popped off of the plug with no problem, so the time spent waxing and adding mold release paid off.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #86]

07-22-2009 08:39 AM Willys - Trans Tunnel Rework
The first pic shows how much room I will be saving. Over 1 1/2" on each side. This will allow me to locate the gas pedal further over to the right, which in turn will give me more room for the clutch and brake pedals.
Body filler was applied over the entire plug and sanded down. I added a fillet around the outside edge because I needed to make a flat flange around the hump to match up to the flat sections of the existing fiberglass floorboard that I was re-using.
The entire plug was then covered with a coating of epoxy resin, followed with multiple coats of wax and PVA mold release.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #85]

07-22-2009 08:29 AM Willys - Trans Tunnel Rework
The ribs were then stacked up in the shape of the tunnel. I made sure that there were no real tight curves that would be tough to mold and also included enough taper to the plug so that the fiberglass would pop off easily.
The spaces between the ribs were filled in with pink foam insulation, and a toe board and remaining insulation was added. The entire plug was then shaped and sanded to it's final form.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #84]

07-22-2009 08:16 AM Willys - Trans Tunnel Rework
I decided to make a male plug of the actual shape of the tunnel I wanted by making cardboard cut-outs spaced every 2". I used 2" because that was the thickness of the foam I had on hand to fill in the spaces.
Once I got the shape of the tunnel roughed out, with about 3/4" clearance around the bell housing and transmission, I transferred the shape over to 1/8" plywood ribs.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #83]

07-22-2009 08:04 AM Willys - Trans Tunnel Rework
The stock trans tunnel/floorboard/toe board that Outlaw provides with the Willys body is more or less a universal style, with a very big hump for an auto transmission, which most everyone uses. Since I have a Tremec 5-speed manual trans, I don't need that big of a hump.
So, I decided to cut out the existing hump and fabricate a new fiberglass hump that closely fit the transmission I was using.
The first pic shows the stock tunnel. The second pic shows how much of the tunnel I cut out, and the third shows how much space I could save by making a smaller tunnel.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #82]

Pages (46): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.