Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: steve392's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View steve392's profile Entries: 204
Views: 95148
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

03-25-2008 12:52 PM Willys Chassis - Brake Lines
Now that the exhaust is done, I can start working on the smaller, easier to route plumbing like the brake lines. The first thing to do was to mock-up the e-brake cable. The calipers have an integral e-brake built into them, and are mounted in front of the rear axle. I ended up swapping the calipers side-to-side, and arranging it so that the brake is actuated by pulling the lever on the caliper to the rear. I then looped the cable around the coil-over and then towards the front of the vehicle. The two sides will join at the cable anchor and be actuated by a lever mounted over the driveshaft tunnel. The first two pictures show the layout.
Third picture is a close-up of the flex line between caliper and thru-frame brake fitting. I cycled the rear through it's entire up-down motion to make sure that the flex line would not bind or hit anything. Picture shows suspension fully bottomed-out on bump stop.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #59]

11-30-2007 08:38 AM Willys Chassis - Exhaust System
The chassis as it now sits. I'm glad I decided to have the exhaust professionally done. A great job done by the guys at Posies.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #58]

11-30-2007 08:35 AM Willys Chassis - Exhaust System
Things are very tight, but there's enough room for the shock/rear vertical travel without hitting the exhaust tubing.
I furnished Posies with a template showing the lower body outline of the Willys. The Outlaw frame actually stops short of the body by quite a bit. The exhaust tubing was routed so that it will be parallel to the body underside and it only extends out about an inch past the rear of the body.
The last shot is the crossover. Tight fit, but it was done in such a way that the bottom of the tubing is no lower than either the bellhousing flange or the front frame crossmember.
The crossover is 2" tubing, whereas the rest of the system is 2 1/2".

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #57]

11-30-2007 08:23 AM Willys Chassis - Exhaust System
I decided on a set of Borla Turbo mufflers for a few reasons, one of them being that they fit perfectly in the frame space. SS band clamps were used on each end. The hangers are an item that Posies uses on their exhausts.
The frame extension on each side was cut and sleeved for the tubing to pass through. Now came the hard part of routing the tubing up and over the rear end.
After clearing the frame, the tubing was brought up and turned in to miss the coil-over shock. From here on back, the tubing will be directly under the frame.
Outstanding workmanship...

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #56]

11-30-2007 08:10 AM Willys Chassis - Exhaust System
After doing some research and investigation, I decided on two things: 1) I wanted the exhaust system to be stainless steel, and 2) I was going to have someone else do it. The decision wasn't made lightly....I would love to say when this project is done that I "did it all myself", but there are things that I can't do because of skill, equipment, and also time. The exhaust was one of those things.
One of the problems with the Willys pro-street style frame, is that it is very tough to route the exhaust all of the way out to the rear of the vehicle. The frame design, tire size, & rear suspension layout don't leave a lot of room to get a couple of 2 1/2" pipes through. This is one of the reasons that you see most Willys with exhausts that dump out just in front of the rear tires.
I was committed to getting the pipes out the back, so with that in mind, I went to get estimates for the job.
After visiting a few local shops without much success, I decided to contact Posies Rods and Customs in Pennsylvania. I had talked to the Posies guys at a few shows, and was intending to have them do other work for me later on during the build. So I asked them about an exhaust system. We met and worked out a plan for the exhaust.
They did an absolutely flawless job, something I would never be able to do myself.
Posies approach was to include a flex bellows on each side to handle any engine vibration. This also allowed the rest of the exhaust to be "hard mounted". I also had them add an O2 sensor bung on each side for an A/F ratio meter. After tuning, I can just plug them off.
The exhaust was able to be run through the frame,and stainless steel band clamps were used to make assembly/disassembly easier.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #55]

Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41