Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: steve392's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View steve392's profile Entries: 204
Views: 95145
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

05-31-2007 06:40 AM Willys Chassis-Engine Mock-Up
Now that the engine is "in", I centered it up within the frame. I just made a small wooden cradle for it to sit in, independent of the frame. This way, I'll be able to roll the chassis front to back, which in turn will make it easier to set final location. I took an educated guess for right now on engine height. After body gets on and front end is mocked up, I'll figure out actual mounting height.
Engine/trans "tilt" was preliminary set at 2 degrees...rear pinion angle was likewise set at 2 degrees. I then mocked up the driveshaft to check the u-joint angles. Driveshaft angle was a little over 4 degrees plus the 2 degrees on the trans and rear gave over six degrees u-joint angle...way too much. Part of the problem is the short length of driveshaft. This shaft will be about 30" long. Had I a longer wheelbase car, the angles would be less. More adjustments will be necessary. Options will be to raise the engine or decrease tilt and pinion angle, maybe a combination of both.
Next, the body goes back on...

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #44]

05-23-2007 05:34 AM Willys Chassis-Rear Brakes
The rear brakes were somewhat of a problem. Not too many disc setups will work with 15" wheels, and since I had my mind set on these wheels (15 x 14" E-T Five Windows), I ended up with this set of SSBC single-piston brakes with 11.25" rotors and aluminum caliper with parking brake.
Here's the whole setup ready to go on. The caliper mounting bracket is a two-piece setup, with the split bracket being sandwiched between the original bearing retainer and the axle flange. When I ordered the rear, I had the "late big Ford" axle flanges installed, which uses the large 3.15" bearing.
Next pic shows the brackets all bolted up. Because the axle has been narrowed considerably, there was no room to mount the caliper assembly to the rear of the axle. It interfered with the coil-over shock, so it had to go in front.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #43]

05-22-2007 11:19 AM Willys Chassis-Engine Mock-Up
Enough of starting up the engine on the test stand....time to see if it fits. I took off the blower/carb assembly because I didn't have good attachment points for the hoist, so it came off for now.
I bolted up the trans and swung it into place.
I have the engine supported off of the floor, independent of the frame. Now I can move the engine up/down/left/right for fit-up. This also gives me room to fit up the motor mounts.
PVC pipe in third photo substitutes for coil-over spring to simulate ride height.
Hopefully, I'll be able to keep the alternator down low, I may have interference problems with steering rack.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #42]

05-22-2007 11:02 AM Willys Chassis-4 Link Diagrams
With all of the adjust-ability in this rear suspension, I thought I would lay it out in AutoCad so that I could graphically see how this setup will work based upon different link locations and angles.
I first scanned in a drawing of the bare frame, then measured all of the attachment points on both the rear and frame and drew them in. I set up my axle centerline heights based upon tire/wheel combination, along with wheelbase length. From here, I will be able to rotate the rear, change the rake of the frame, and change mounting points of the links.
I've read a lot of the threads on the board regarding 4 link adjustments, and its all very heady stuff. I'm starting to understand it all, thanks to some very knowledgeable people on this board.
Later on I hope to use this for chassis tuning as it relates to anti-squat, instant centers and all of the other stuff I'm just beginning to understand.
Here's a few drawings of what I have so far.
I find that if you enlarge the images once you open them, it shows up clearer....

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #41]

05-22-2007 09:03 AM Willys Chassis-Rear End
Just a few more photos showing rear end mock-up. Second pic shows the diagonal triangulated bar to keep the rear from moving side-side.
I also set up the rear to be centered on the pinion, not the housing. Engine/trans, driveshaft, and pinion are all on same vertical centerline, which in turn is centered in the frame.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #40]

Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41