Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: steve392's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View steve392's profile Entries: 204
Views: 98739
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

05-22-2007 09:43 AM Willys Chassis-Rear End
In between working on the front end and the rear, I took the body off the frame which made setup of the rear a lot easier. I put paper on the floor and transferred all measurements and centerlines to the paper. The first pic shows the front end set on blocks to simulate ride height based upon tire/wheel combination and lower control arm geometry. The front cross-member comes out to just over 5" above the ground.
I also laid out some paper on the floor at the rear and established a centerline down the length of the chassis.
Second pic shows layout at rear. Rear is Dana 60 with Outlaw's four link suspension. I set the frame at an estimated ride height in the rear by blocking it up independently of the frame. Wheelbase is 101", so I measured back from the front spindles and marked a centerline for the rear axle centerline. Once that was done, I could play around with the link bars and set a preliminary pinion angle. For starters, I was looking for about 3 degrees up on the pinion...
Well, that didn't work out so well. Even with the top link bars extended as far as possible (still maintaining enough thread engagement on the Heim end) and turning in the bottom bars as much as possible, I was not able to get even close to the pinion angle I needed. I was still down about 1.8 degrees. Wheelbase was about 101.5"...
I figured that if the bottom bar was shortened, it would move the rear forward enough to meet the 101" wheelbase dimension. This would also make the top bars shorter(more thread engagement on the top Heim end), and allow adjustment in top bar to achieve upward pinion angle.
After some consultation with Outlaw, and careful measuring, I needed to have the bottom bars cut by 3/4" and threaded deeper.
I had the bars cut and re-threaded, re-installed everything, and that did the trick. I now have enough adjustment in the bars.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #39]

05-22-2007 09:14 AM Willys Chassis-Front End
Part of the Heidt's package was the Wilwood Dynalite brakes. I went for the polished hubs, drilled rotors, and sway bar. The kit also came with Wilwood's billet aluminum polished calipers. I really don't like them, although they are very popular. I wanted the contrast of the black calipers instead, so I sold the polished ones, and bought the black calipers instead. I think it looks better, and that's what counts...
Just a few pictures of the finished brake setup.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #38]

05-22-2007 09:00 AM Willys Chassis-Front End
Now that the engine is complete, the next step will be the frame/chassis setup. I ordered my Outlaw frame with a Heidt's Superride II front suspension. Outlaw installed the cross member and hung all of the parts, but now it was time to setup everything so that I could establish ride height, do a preliminary alignment and take some measurements.
I leveled up the frame side-side and used a spindle mount caster/camber gauge to get the alignment in the ballpark. The gauge worked fine, and I was able to easily set caster and camber by turning the adjusters on the upper A-arms.
Preliminary setup was with the lower A-arms parallel to the ground. I substituted a turnbuckle for the coil-over to make adjustments. So far, so good.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #37]

01-02-2007 07:32 AM Hemi is Finished
The Hemi is finally done. Just a few shots of how it looks completed.
Next step will be to start chassis work on Willys in preparation for installing Hemi.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #36]

01-02-2007 07:26 AM Hemi Startup-Added Blower
Finally got some time to update this journal, so here goes...

After successfully starting engine with the single 4 bbl carb, it was time to add the blower and Demon carbs. First two shots are of the two Mighty Demon blower carbs and fuel lines by BDS. Blower is also by BDS, an 8-71.
Third photo is the engine running again (notice the blurred lettering on the blower belt). This is also a good shot of the PCV system, with the PCV valve mounted on the valve cover breather, and the hose running up to the carb adapter. Also seen are the vacuum lines from the intake manifold to each carb for the power valve referencing, either vacuum or boost.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #35]

Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.