Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: steve392's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View steve392's profile Entries: 204
Views: 94404
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41

09-07-2006 07:40 AM Hemi Startup
Finally got things together and started up the Hemi for the first time. The original AFB carb that I rebuilt wasn't working well. It had a weak accelerator pump squirt, and the Hemi just didn't want to run... No time to waste, so I ran out to the parts store and picked up a new generic Edelbrock carb that would fit the original manifold.
Bolted everything up, and the Hemi roared to life!! Sweet...
Got the rpm's up to to break in cam. Gauges show 70# oil pressure, temp was staying around 195, and vacuum was at 22".
Base timing was set at 10 deg BTDC, and that was fine for now.
No other problems encountered other than a few water leaks where some of the bolts that go into water jacket didn't receive enough sealer...
All in all a very successful and satisfying first start...

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #34]

08-15-2006 06:56 AM Hemi Engine Test Stand
I picked up a used GM truck radiator for $20 and added an electric fan. I wired everything up using relays for the fan and secondary ignition. Everything else is fused and ready to go.
I added a battery tray to the side of the stand also. Battery cables and wiring all routed to stay away from headers. I hooked up the alternator (1 wire) to charge the battery, even though I didn't need to for run-in on the stand.
Also seen in the second picture is the engine pre-luber that I will be using for start up. I learned about this from threads on this board, so I thought I would try it. I'll have the system pressurized with oil when I turn the key. Also seen is the O2 sensor in the left header pipe for the Innovate Motorsports LM-1 A/F ratio meter.
The only thing left to do is to drop in the distributor, add some plugs and wires and its ready to go.
The cooling system has been checked, two small leaks found and fixed. The oiling system has been filled and tested both with the pre-luber and by drill turning oil pump. Fuel system tested and good to go with pump putting out 6 psi and no leaks. Rebuilt original AFB will be used for first start up and tuning.
After I start it up and everything checks out, the carb and manifold come off, and the blower and dual Demons go on.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #33]

08-15-2006 06:30 AM Hemi Engine Test Stand
Now that the engine is put together, it's time to start it up and break in the cam and seat the rings. I made a stand that I could not only start the engine on, but use it as a place to hold and store it when it is not in the car. I made it large enough so that I could also bolt up the transmission and be able to move around the whole unit.
A bunch of 2x4's and some plywood later and I had a very sturdy stand that I could roll around. Of course its not complete without a "dashboard", so I made up a place to hold the gauges and ignition switch. The flat portion will hold the tach and A/F ratio meters. I'll monitor oil pressure, water temperature, vacuum, RPM, and Air/Fuel ratio.
The fuel supply system consists of a 1 gallon fuel cell and electric fuel pump to feed the carburetor.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #32]

08-01-2006 05:45 AM Hemi Assembly-Moon breathers
For my PCV system, I wanted to use a PCV valve in one valve cover and a breather in the other. The problem was that I didn't want to mess up those nice Hemi covers, and didn't want to put some huge breather on that covered up the "Firepower" script. I settled on a pair of Moon 30 degree breathers that I cut down to fit the upper edge of the covers. Not too big and ugly...
The breather on the left side has a foam filter in it and is open to the outside air. The breather on the right cover is blocked off from the outside air, but has the PCV valve installed in it.
I also made a baffle to fit inside the covers to prevent oil from being drawn out thru the PCV valve. If anyone has the Tex Smith Complete Chrysler Hemi manual, this setup is the same as described in the book.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #31]

08-01-2006 05:22 AM Hemi Assembly-Flywheel & Clutch
Final assembly of flywheel, clutch and bellhousing...First pic is a shot of the twin disc clutch setup with first disc installed and the floater bolted up. Notice anything different about the disc? There's no damper springs...McLeod explained that they were not needed. With the twin disc setup, the spring pressures can be a lot less but still have the same clamping force spread out over a larger area, and I won't have a real hard "grab" when the clutch is let out....we'll see.
Next shot is clutch completely installed. Diaphragm style pressure plate is also standard.
Last pic shows finished installation...Good to go....

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #30]

Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41