Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: steve392's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View steve392's profile Entries: 204
Views: 97538
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41

07-31-2006 11:16 AM Hemi Assembly-Flywheel & Clutch
I'm using parts from many different vendors for this setup, and I thought I may run into problems with the input shaft being the correct length. With the trans & crank adapters, Mcleod Flywheel/Clutch, Lakewood bellhousing, and Tremec transmission, it was a possibility that somewhere along the line, something wasn't going to fit. I test-fit the transmission onto the bellhousing to make sure that the input shaft was correct and fit into the pilot bearing. I was able to take a photo through the access hole in the bellhousing. The input shaft fits exactly where its supposed to be. Sweet!
Next I installed the clutch and took a measurement between the throwout bearing surface on the transmission and the clutch fingers. I needed this so that I could order the correct throwout bearing from McLeod. The bearing will be a hydraulic unit, so I won't need to fabricate a mechanical linkage.
Last picture shows only glitch in the mock-up. I went to rotate the crank, and found that the clutch housing hit the inside of the bellhousing near the starter bulge. The clutch is a twin disc setup and is higher than most clutch styles. A little work with a grinder on the inside of the bellhousing, and all was okay.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #29]

07-31-2006 10:57 AM Hemi Assembly-Flywheel & Clutch
Here's the flywheel all bolted up. The flywheel/clutch is a combo unit from McLeod Clutches. The flywheel is the same as a '60's 426 Hemi. Also, the pilot bearing can be seen in the crank adapter.
Next came time to bolt up the bellhousing and check for alignment. First I checked to see that the face of the flywheel and face of bellhousing (transmission mounting surface) were parallel. I set up dial indicator on flywheel with pointer perpendicular to face of bellhousing, and took readings every 90 degrees. Readings were from -.002" to +.002". Acceptable runout numbers are -.005" to +.005" so I was good to go.
Next measurement was to check that center bore of bellhousing was concentric with crank centerline. Re-set dial indicator and again took readings every 90 degrees for two rotations of crank. Readings were from -.001" to +.004" for a total of .005". Mis-alignment is 1/2 of total reading for .0025". Lakewood specs call for maximum of .005", and McLeod calls for .008". Either way I'm well below that so offset dowel pins will not be needed.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #28]

07-31-2006 10:37 AM Hemi Assembly-Flywheel & Clutch
I'm going with a manual transmission for my street rod. First pic shows the adapter plate for a manual Mopar bellhousing. This will provide the proper spacing from the block to the face of the bellhousing. Bolt pattern on block is same as small block Mopar. Six bolts go into block, and the adapter contains the two dowel pins for bellhousing alignment.
The bellhousing I'm using is a Lakewood scattershield for the 340 Mopar, and it comes with a block plate that fits between the flywheel and block to contain the flywheel/clutch should it let go.
Also needed when mating the crank to an aftermarket flywheel is an adapter to register the flywheel to the crank. The roller pilot bearing for the transmission input shaft is press fit into the crank adapter.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #27]

07-26-2006 07:08 AM Hemi Assembly-blower mock up
Here's a picture of the whole thing put together... Final setup is a 49 tooth lower pulley and a 56 tooth upper pulley for a 12.5% underdrive. This will give 8 pounds of boost and with the static ratio of 8:1, will give an effective compression ratio of 12.4:1.

I also have a Powermaster 140 amp alternator mounted low on the motor for now. Once this gets in the frame, as long as there are no clearance issues, I'll keep it there. Looks ugly mounted up high.

I'm going with a pair of BG Mighty Demon Blower carbs...650 CFM each, mechanical secondary, no choke.

Now all of this comes off. I'll be starting the engine for the first time with the original AFB Carter carb and stock Hemi manifold. Once I get it up and running, with timing set, I'll put on the blower. One thing at a time....

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #26]

07-26-2006 06:58 AM Hemi Assembly-blower mock up
I'm using a BDS 8-71 blower and drive on the Hemi and wanted to mock everything up to verify everything fit. First thing to do was to level-up the engine block. Used the valley cover surface and shimmed engine stand so that all was level. I figured it would be easier to make sure that everything lined up.
The blower manifold is a Weiand # 7138. As I mentioned in earlier posts, since the heads were shaved to fine tune my compression ratio, it also lowered the intake ports and bolt holes. A corresponding amount needed to be shaved off of the manifold to get everything to line up again. Manifold fit up fine and all is still level and parallel. Next came the blower case, and again all looks good.
Next was the installation of the pulleys. Here's where I had some fit-up issues. The pulleys I got were too big. They were the correct ratio, but both needed to be smaller in diameter so that the belt would fit and I would have some adjustment on the idler pulley. Also the top pulley spacer needed to be changed so that the fronts of both upper and lower pulleys lined up.
Once I got the correct pulley spacer and pulleys, everything lined up perfectly.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #25]

Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41