These are just a few photos of some of the other electronics mounted behind the dash. I found a good place for the Mallory Ignition box just in front of the A/C/Heat unit. It will be easily accessible with the right dash panel removed. I also found a place for the Holley HP ECU for the fuel injection system. I fabricated a few brackets for the ECU and mounted it to the left of the A/C unit. It's also far enough away from the Ignition box to avoid interference. The last two photos show the Pioneer GPS navigation unit and antenna I decided to add. The stereo head unit will be mounted in the center console and will have a retractable screen, which I'll use for the navigation and rear view camera. The GPS antenna is mounted directly under the windshield and will have a clear access vertically through the glass.
First photo shows the finished gauge panels and how they attach to the dash with small machine screws at each corner. The panels will be painted dash color. The small hole in the center of the right panel is for the pushbutton start. The second photo shows the indicator light panel I had made up with a few custom icons for tilt control and line lock besides the usual turn signals, alternator light and high beam indicator. The third photo shows the slot I cut into the left panel directly between the two large gauges for the rear mounted indicator panel. The last three photos show the finished panels before painting. I decided to add a third removable panel for the right side of the dash to balance out the design. It's really a cover plate that I'll be able to remove to access the ignition box and A/C/Heat unit if necessary. I also took a little time to dress up the panel with the Willys logo.
Instead of mounting the gauges directly to the dash, I decided to make some removable inserts that would bolt to the dash instead. In doing it this way I'll be able to change or relocate gauges in the future if I decide to. I would just have to make a new panel for the gauge size and arrangement without disturbing the painted dash.
There are two separate panels, one for the area directly behind the steering wheel, and one to the right, in the center portion of the 3-sided Willys dash. The first photo shows the gauge layout. There are a total of eight Auto Meter Ultra Lite gauges consisting of tachometer, speedometer, fuel level and voltmeter on the left panel, and water temperature, oil pressure, boost/vacuum and oil temperature in the right panel. The stock fiberglass dash was cut out to make room for all both of the panels as shown in the second photo. The third and fourth photos show the mockup of the gauges in the dash using a piece of cardboard for the panel. This was to check and see if the gauges would actually clear the brake master cylinder. I ended up moving the dash out over an inch in order to clear everything.
The fifth and sixth photos show the trim rings I made for the left panel gauges. This portion of the panel is actually at an angle to the driver, and I wanted to have the gauges point directly rearward instead of pointing to the left. Trim rings were cut out of aluminum tubing and attached to the panel. The two large rings were tack welded to the plate, and the two small rings were epoxied to the plate.
The last time I posted was over a year ago, and the Willys was back home again after having the finished body put back on the chassis. We've been busy since then doing all of the final assembly, and haven't taken any time to update the journal, so here goes.
The interior was treated to a full covering of Dynamat, including the roof, wheel tubs and floor. Basically, any surface that was in contact with the outside of the vehicle was covered. A layer of Dynaliner insulating foam was also placed on the interior roof and wall sections, as well as the floor and transmission tunnel to help keep out the heat.
The first photo is the Willys out in the sunlight just before being loaded on the trailer for the trip home. The paint looks great, and I'm very satisfied with the color and how it changes between sun and shade. The next three photos show the Willys back home. Those things wrapped up in blankets on the floor are the rear fenders. I couldn't resist posting the last two photos of the tail lights now that the body is finished. The first is just the parking light, and the second is the brake light. Sweet....