The finished chassis is back at Tim's shop to have the now-finished body put back on. It pays to have the right tools...the two-post lift made the body placement effortless. The body was lifted off of the dolly and the chassis was rolled underneath. The body was slowly lowered down onto the frame, the bolt holes were lined up between the body and frame brackets, and then bolted down.
First photo shows the transmission cross member attached to the frame with safety wired bolts. The safety wiring is just a little added insurance and peace of mind and will be done on most of the drivetrain components. The next photo shows the dual oil filter adapter and oil temperature thermostat and oil supply and return lines installed. Also seen is the anchor bracket for the floor-mounted e-brake cables. The next photo shows the engine and transmission installed and bolted in place. The transmission is a Tremec TKO 600, with a McLeod hydraulic throw-out bearing. The fourth photo is another shot of the rear section of the chassis. The oil cooler lines can be seen passing through sleeves in the frame. The two empty holes in the frame opposite the oil cooler lines are for the fuel supply and return lines, which will be installed after the body is back on and the fuel tank is installed. The last photo is the completed chassis with everything re-installed and ready for the body. Exhaust heat shields are in place and body mounts are bolted back on. Now the chassis can be brought back out to the body shop and have finished body put back on.
First photo shows suspension work completed and the exhaust system installed. Front coil springs were originally chrome, but I had them powder coated to match the rear springs and add a little contrast to the assembly. Sway bar is also black powder coated. Exhaust system is stainless steel that is internally Jet-Hot coated to keep down radiant heat. Next photo shows oil cooler installed along with oil supply and return lines. Also seen are the e-brake cables routed along the frame and going forward through the frame cross member. The third photo shows the oil thermostat installed and also the bracket for the dual oil filter adapter. Bolt holes in top of frame are the anchor points for the seats. I also had the headers Jet-Hot coated inside and out with a satin black finish for a little contrast. Exhaust gaskets are solid copper.
Since the mufflers and exhaust piping are mounted inside the frame rails, heat shielding was made to keep the heat down inside the car. I made up some shields from thin gauge aluminum sheet and DEI-brand floor and tunnel shield. The aluminized and quilted shield has a self-stick backing, but just to play it safe, I pop-riveted it to the aluminum sheet. Finished shields are held in place with small machine screws.
While the body was still in the paint shop, and the frame was back from powder coating, I was able to start re-assembling the rolling chassis. I started out by installing the Heidt's front suspension and steering rack and set it up for preliminary wheel alignment. The lower A-arms were positioned parallel to the floor and preliminary caster and camber were set using a gauge bolted to the spindle. Reference centerlines were drawn on paper taped to the floor. The rear end was then installed, guided by centerlines on the floor for correct wheelbase. Measurements were taken to ensure that rear axle centerline was parallel to front spindles and perpendicular to chassis centerline. Exhaust pipes were placed back into frame before rear was bolted up.