Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: steve392's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View steve392's profile Entries: 204
Views: 95162
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

05-15-2012 08:40 AM Willys - Oil Cooler & Thermostat
The oil leaves the engine block using -10AN hose, goes through the dual oil filters and continues rearward to the oil thermostat. The top connection of the thermostat is the inlet, and the same-side bottom connection is the oil return directly to the engine, also -10AN. All of the oil is filtered before it goes to the cooler. Once the thermostat opens, the hot oil continues back to the cooler and returns to the thermostat through two -8AN lines. The top line is the thermostat outlet to the cooler, and the bottom line is the return. I won’t be able to make up the two cooler hose connections until final assembly as they are too big to fit through the frame sleeves.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #164]

05-15-2012 08:38 AM Willys - Oil Cooler & Thermostat
There was no easy way to route the oil lines forward to where they meet up with the thermostat. After many trial-and-error mock-ups, I decided to sleeve the frame cross member and route the hoses through the frame. Holes were drilled through the frame for 7/8” o.d. x .065” wall steel tubing. The tubing was then welded in place and ground flush with frame. The third photo shows the finished sleeves for the oil lines on the left, and also for the fuel lines on the right.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #163]

05-15-2012 08:37 AM Willys - Oil Cooler & Thermostat
Once the cooler location was finalized, the permanent mounting brackets were made from quarter-inch flat stock and tacked to the frame. The mounting holes were drilled and tapped in the brackets. Aluminum spacers are used between the cooler and frame brackets to space the cooler away from the body and allow airflow to the fins. The supply and return lines to/from the cooler follow the curve of the frame directly under the body/floor. Another cross-bracket will be added to the frame just in front of the cross member to support the hoses. Aluminum hose separators are used to keep the hoses neatly arranged.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #162]

05-15-2012 08:35 AM Willys - Oil Cooler & Thermostat
Even though I have the largest radiator and fan I could fit, I was still concerned about the Hemi overheating, so I decided to add an oil cooler. The cooler will be remote mounted, so it requires its own fan, and in order to send only hot oil to the cooler, an oil thermostat was also needed. The fan is from Derale, and the thermostat is from Mocal. When the engine oil is cold, the thermostat will route the oil directly back to the engine bypassing the cooler. Once the temperature reaches 180 degrees, the thermostat opens and directs flow through the cooler and then back to the engine.
The only place with enough space to mount the cooler was behind the rear end on the frame. The cooler location was mocked-up in the frame with some wood blocks and the oil supply and return lines were located. There needs to be some space between the cooler fins and the bottom of the body above for air to be drawn in from the top and through the fins. The cooler also needed to be offset to make room for the oil line fittings. The blue fitting contains the thermostatic switch to turn the cooler fan on and off, so the fan will only be on when the oil thermostat is open and sending hot oil to the cooler.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #161]

05-15-2012 08:32 AM Willys - Fuel Tank Install
The weight of the tank will not be taken by the tabs alone. I didn’t want the tabs to flex at all with the weight of the fuel, so supports were made for each corner of the tank to take the weight. Triangular wooden pads were temporarily taped to the bottom of the tank and thick epoxy was applied to the trunk floor where the pads were going to sit. The tank was put into place using shims for the correct spacing off of the floor, and the epoxy was allowed to set. This way, the tank was bedded correctly on the wooden pads. After the epoxy set, the tank was removed leaving the wood pads epoxied to the floor. Rubber sheet was added to each pad to complete the tank supports. The fuel tank is now bolted to the frame and rests on the pads for support.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #160]

Pages (41): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41