First picture shows have I am making the water tray. I actually took allot of time to make sure that I had the sheetmetal sloping forward. I will be putting my drain towards the front of the car. ALTHOUGH, I think this is a bad idea. Because most of the time, the car will be "accelerating" causing the suspension to squat more than dive. So the water is going to want to flow back. BUt, I might even put a second drain in the back to work with this issue.
Second image shows the other sheetmetal that I have replaced. This isn't parallel to the car, but its close enough.
Third picture shows the welds of the bottom of my sheetmetal replacement piece that meet the floor. There was a good size gap in this area so I put some HUGE welds down. I'll grind these to clean it up.
First picture is showing how I utilized the factory sheetmetal to fill in the gap of basically a door jam. When I welded in my patch panel for the rear quarter panel on that side, I obviously lost my door jam section. I'm glad I saved this original piece. it saved me a ton of time.
The second picture is an area that got rusted away and had to be replaced. It took some patience to get the bend correct and I am not completely done with it, but the general shape is there.
Third picture is just another image of the patch work.
There is something that I truely enjoy about working with sheetmetal. I use to get frustrated but, I have learned to be more patient.
The first picture is multiple pieces that I have used to patch a section of "floor" This is under the window between the quarter panel and the interior sheetmetal.
The second picture is replacement panelling that I have made. Again, I learned that it is much easier working with smaller pieces rather than larger pieces. I will clean everything before I primer, but I won't waste my time grinding these welds.
A user on these boards, Deadbodyman recommended this chemical called Ospho.
I could hear the enthusiasum in his voice when i was reading his PM's. I had to special order this stuff but MY GOD it works so well. It really made my life so much easier. It still look allot of elbow grease to get the rust out, but this saved time and frustration.
If you look back and ealier postings of mine, you can see how bad the surface rust was. In the last picture of this entry you can see that I already started bending new sheetmetal pieces to weld in. I am waiting on a patch panel for the quarter panel to come in before I spray any epoxy primer.
I will have to wire brush the metal and use some paint striper to clean everything one last time before primer, but I am very happy with the results and I am not worried about the side effects of using this chemical cleaner.
I cut out the section of the floor under the window to be replaced. Also, wire brushed and scuffed more of the surface rust off. I need to find a way to efficently clean some of those hard to reach areas...
I also started to make the replacement sheetmetal pieces to fill in the area that I cut out. Ill have to take those pictures later.
At this point I am planning on ordering a new rear quarter panel patch. This piece will mostly be used to fix that rotted out section in the door. Depending on the quality I might replace part of the quarter panel, but it is not completely necessary.