Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: Danny G.'s Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Danny G.'s profile Entries: 8
Views: 1634
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (2): [1] 2

01-09-2006 01:03 AM final pics of first engine swap
The swap took me about a year to figure out and complete while doing a mild restoration with mild rust at the same time. Doesn't include all of the details, dramatical, sad and funny emotional events along the way.

If only I knew what little I know now, this would have taken me a few weeks. Except the extra time on cleaning and sanding the valve covers, AFM and other small things on the low mileage 2.8 5mge that was sitting for a few years. As well as the interior and exterior work at the same time can be overwhelming, but addicting.

Eventually I would like to add on a junkyard affordable CT26 turbo charger & manifold from the 87 to 92 7mgte Supras that can bolt on. Low boost at about 6-8 psi, air to air intercooled & rising rate fuel pressure regulator with stock injectors at first. Not much, but enough to get from 200 to 250 hp reliably at the wheels. Still allot ahead.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #8]

01-09-2006 12:01 AM fuel tank overhaul
Before any more problems I'm glad I decided to take out the old fuel. Was a little scary at first. Third pic is with the fuel tank out. Which gave me a chance to fill some small rust holes with body filler. I would rather have used a mig at the time.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #7]

01-08-2006 11:50 PM drive belts replaced & 82 EFI installed
Still was having problems troubleshooting, it was my first engine swap without a complete rebuild, so paranoia sets in after a low reading on a compression test, but ends up being an important tool finding out later it was just the timing that was off!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #6]

01-08-2006 11:35 PM restoring exhaust heat shields
Also was swapping out the interior at the same time, I'll show that part after the engine swap, the metal bar behind the heat shield is the dash bar. Yeah, just cheap black spray can ceramic paint. I used it on the radiator too.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #5]

01-08-2006 10:53 PM First engine swap, a Toyota straight 6
I thought I'd include my 82 Supra in my journal. Its great to also see some other members Datsuns & Z cars, and cool to see a Mazda rotary engine journal in here too.

First pic is when the complete 84 5mge with 84 components such as AFM,ECU and entire intake manifold was initially installed into the 82. All I could get was a clicking noise at first and slowly realized all the differences the same gen car can possibly have.

So plan B was to keep the block and head, and switch back the entire 82 EFI, intake manifold, AFM, ECU, wire harness, thermostat sensors and vac lines.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #4]

Pages (2): [1] 2