Filled the tank with fuel and started it for the second time, this time with everything completed.
I was instructed to run it at 2 to 3000 rpm to run the cam shaft in. It started very well but after a few minutes a lot of black smoke and the motor choked and died, had to wait many hours before I could get it running again the same happened. Thought it was running out of fuel, how so wrong I was, after talking to a carb shop he told me I had to high fuel pressure and needed to check the systems pressure. After purchasing a pressure gauge I connected it to the line just before the carb. On turning the fuel pump on the pressure needle went right around until it hit the start peg. This gauge was now throw away material, went back to the speed shop and purchased an in line pressure valve and a new gauge.
The pressure was factory set to 9 psi, I tried restarting it once again it ran like it should. One very happy camper. Even the boss and grandson was happy.
I will be going for a test drive this weekend.
After thinking about how much strength that was required to operate the carbs, it seemed far too excessive; I looked at the carbs and found the electric choke was on all the time which stopped the second stage butterflies from opening.
You could get the second carb to open both butterflies but the force required was ridiculous. I have checked the system and you need to have the ignition on to pull the electric choke off. I have clipped it back for now. At least I do not need to replace the accelerator system now.
Purchased a chromed accelerator pedal system. Made a few brackets to fit it onto the steering column.
Photo 1 The pedal with the brackets.
Photo 2 The top bracket which the cable will connect to.
Photo 3 The low bracket made from S/Steel.
Photo 4 The pedal set up with the cable and return spring installed.
Photo 5 System installed under the dash.
Photo 6 the carburetor connections.
I did not take into account the strength required to open both carbs to full throttle, a lot more than this peddle had to give, the slotted plate connecting to the cable sheared off, very sad as it looked good.
I have made a temporary repair for now, a new design is needed about double the strength is required before I will get it to open the carbs full.
Photo 1 I cut 13 x 4” strips for the side panel pleats.
Photo 2 Using the old sewing machine to sew all the strips together.
Photo 3 The first side wall clipped into place.
Photo 4 The second one clipped into place.
Photo 5 Both panels on the bucket.
Photo 1 shows the side wall with the steel side intrusion steel ready for the panels.
Photo 2 The first attempt I used nylon not a good idea.
Photo 3 Purchased a sheet of Masonite panel board used the old panel as a template.
Photo 4 The Masonite cut out ready for the clips.
Photo 5 Installed on side wall, it would not stay in. I had a bit of research to do not how to bend this board.
Photo 6 What I needed to do was wet the board and clamp it into position, once it dried it stayed this shape.