Carrying on with the seat base, Glad we did not throw away the old Riccar sewing machine.
Cut out the front pad and sewed it on to the pleated base done last week. Sat the base onto the material and marked out where it needed to be sewn. Cut this out then carried on with the sewing.
Photo 01 The old sewing machine still man enough for the job.
Photo 02 Front pad sewn on
Photo 03 Other side
Photo 04 Base on the material for marking out
Went down to the local sewing shop purchased a leather needles, nylon thread and a welting foot.
I then went back to the foam supplier and purchased the vinyl, dark brown. It took me half the day of clowning around to get the wife’s sewing set up for vinyl. Why not start on the hardest part the through seat hole, after many trial attempts on some old vinyl a friend gave me I sort of got there.
Photo 01 Marking out the top seat area.
Photo 02 First attempt, when you stretch it out it looks ok.
Photo 03 The second cover added to the foam.
Photo 04 Base seat ready for the vinyl.
Photo 05 First stage sort of there, lucky the seat belt clips will hide the sewing.
Onto the seats, I looked into what I needed and decided it would be better to leave it to the professionals.
I sent out a few requests for quotes just for the base first. I figured a few hundred; maybe I was on a different planet. The quotes came back as estimates of $2,500.00 plus. This made me change my mind and do it myself as I am already over the $25K build price, by the time the full interior was done it would be over $35K.
Started off on Utube to get the basics as this was a first for me. Cut out a new base from 3/4” plywood. Went and had a long talk with the foam supplier I purchased the high density foam with a cover like material that would take out all the imperfections when cutting it.
Photo 01 New Base cut out the hole in it is for the seat belt clips.
Photo 02 Base and back board fitted
Photo 03 Lap and diagonal Safety belts fitted, as these are compulsory this is the only way of installing them.
Photo 04 Foam roughly cut to size.
Photo 05 Foam fitted with the seat belt clips through the foam.
Carried on with the assembly a lot more time consuming than first thought missed many photos out.
Photo 1 Dash board re-assembled
Photo 2 Fuel line, vacuum lines & gearbox oil lines installed. New kick-down cable installed.
Photo 3 Carb connection of the kick-down cable.
Photo 4, 5 and 6 Nearly back together, onto the upholstery next.
Now to assemble for the last time, after installing the back four bars I measured from the rotors to the chassis then I set up a measure point on the front spring support bracket then measured back to each side of the brake rotor to ensure the diff was square with the chassis in both directions. Next the front shock support brackets then onto the radiator.
This took me the rest of the day. The radiator was not square with the chassis so I ended up machining it a bit to correct it. Assembled the radiator cover, fan and overflow tank that was enough for the day.