Looked at the chassis once again and you guessed it, there were a few chips and marks that were going to need a few repairs. I stripped the chassis down repaired all the chips, repaired a stripped thread re-sanded it down applied 4 coats of base and three coats of clear.
Photo 1 Out came the Motor and gearbox.
Photo 2 Chassis down to axles and wheels.
Photo 3 Masked all the axles as I did not want to remove the brake lines.
Photo 4 The shock top bolt stripped so I needed to weld in a new one.
Photo 5 Base coat applied.
Photo 6 Clear coat applied now the waiting game.
Onto painting once again, painted the tray and radiator covers.
Getting the hang of this painting bit a lot more prep work needed to get a fantastic finish but I am happy with how it has turned out. Next step reassembly for the last time. I donít think so I will end up changing something.
Photo 1 to 4 Tray painted
Photo 5 to 6 Radiator cover painted and finished
Well as said in the last post onto the tray once again.
I had a few mishaps when I was buffing the tray, they say it was tied hands, I dropped the angle buffer and this ended up cutting through the clear-coat and the base coat. After discussing what can be done everyone said sand it back with 600 wet and dry and start again. After a few very hot and cold days the steel under the bond-fill cracked away. I have purchased a new product of bondi this has fiberglass mixed in it, hopefully this will solve the problem.
Photo 1 I cut all the filler out and replaced it with fiberglass.
Photo 2 Once again sanded it all back and blended the repair in.
Photo 3, 4 and 5 Shows the chips and rub through marks
Sanded the body and applied a K2 primmer, sanded this down and went onto the base-coat clear-coat stage.
Set it up in the spray booth supplied by my work. Watched many videoís on how to do it, found an excellent young person Tony at http://www.youtube.com/user/HowToPaintYourCar
After following his examples to the letter I have finally finished the body exterior that looks great.
Photo 1 In the spray booth.
Photo 2 First 4 coats of base applied.
Photo 3 Sanded it with 1200 then applied two more base coats
Photo 4 Clear-coat now on it just needs to dry
Photo 5 Dashboard completed
Photo 6 Window pillars completed.
Now I have finished this the back tray will need to be done again as it did not come out as good as this.
What would a T-Bucket be without a mirror finished firewall.
Now with plastic products making it very simple there is no reason not to.
This also saves a lot of prep work and saves painting it. I had to repair a few mistakes made on the steering holes cut in the firewall, this was due to moving the steering box twice. I wonít be removing the paper protector until the body is painted. Hopefully by the end Feb.
Photo 1 Shows one of the holes filled in.
Photo 2 Show the start of the patch to repair the second hole.
Photo 3 Plastic sheet with the template on it ready for cutting out.
Photo 4 Plastic sheet glued into firewall after using grease and dirt remover.