Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: RONNYinWAXHAW's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View RONNYinWAXHAW's profile Entries: 22
Views: 3304
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (5): 1 [2] 3 4 5

02-12-2012 07:19 PM El Camino
Yesterday we moved the El Camino over to Joe's. He'll put in another TH350 that my son let me have, and hang the Monte Carlo doors on it. I'll try to get pictures of some of that. Joe's son Joey has been working to part out the Step Side, as you can see in one of the pictures. The front clip is off and the engine/trans will come out. The bed will also come off. Later it will go on the '81 Fleetside. I need to get the El Camino back on the road so that I'll have something to drive while we work on the '81.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #17]

01-24-2012 07:54 PM New Wheels, and Headlights
I generally prefer used tires. You can buy four tires for what one new one costs. Fifteen inch used tires are really hard to find, so I joined the big rim revolution...sort of. Seventeens aren't that big. These will look better when the truck is painted, but I need them on the truck before we lower it. The headlights were necessary because I've been spoiled by the headlights on our GMC Envoy. These will light up the darkness!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #16]

09-18-2011 04:13 PM seats
The old vinyl bench seat had gone hard and busted open in places. especially where you sit. Also, because these trucks sit high off the ground, you slide out of them, wearing the side of seat closest to the door. I found these seats in a later model C1500 and bought them. Here Joe is making a sliding track to mount them on, and you can see them dummied into place. We're going to go back to the El Camino in a few weeks to get it back on the road. Some of the next C10 projects may take longer, and I'll need something to drive to work. Thanks for looking!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #15]

08-18-2011 03:45 AM front clip on
We finally got all the front end parts installed. It turns out that the frame may have been tweaked a little bit around the area where the core support and bumper bolt on. Also, the bumper also isn't straight. It was taken off of a bare frame, so we had no way of knowing it was pushed in a bit on the passenger's side. But if you look at pictures 2 and 3 you can see the change. The early model front clip has it's mounts in different locations, and wasn't bolted in some places. Now with everything where it belongs most of the annoying rattles have gone away. The truck is a 1981, but the grille, headlight bezels and grille surround came from two different 1987 trucks. Because this isn't really a restoration in the common use of the word, I'm not concerned about having the correct 1981 parts.
Thanks for looking!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #14]

08-14-2011 07:33 AM Starting on the front clip
We took a break after coming back from the junkyard, and I went over to Joe's in the evening to lend a hand. Joe's neighbor Todd was there too. We took the old clip off, and then fought two stubborn pins in the driver's door hinges before mounting the "new" front clip.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #13]

Pages (5): 1 [2] 3 4 5