It's been a while since I've done anything to either vehicle in this journal. Here we're gonna drop my C10 using spindles, springs and lowering brackets for the rear leaf springs. Here are photos of the components being swapped. The first picture is the "before shot. Next, all the parts are taken out of the boxes. I had ordered drop shocks for the rear, and was surprised when I opened the boxes and there was only one shock. I'll have to check and see who's goof that was. My son did all the work, while I was the tool gopher and photographer. In photo 6, Ron III is working through the first shower that slowed us down. You can see dad went into the carport.
Yesterday we moved the El Camino over to Joe's. He'll put in another TH350 that my son let me have, and hang the Monte Carlo doors on it. I'll try to get pictures of some of that. Joe's son Joey has been working to part out the Step Side, as you can see in one of the pictures. The front clip is off and the engine/trans will come out. The bed will also come off. Later it will go on the '81 Fleetside. I need to get the El Camino back on the road so that I'll have something to drive while we work on the '81.
I generally prefer used tires. You can buy four tires for what one new one costs. Fifteen inch used tires are really hard to find, so I joined the big rim revolution...sort of. Seventeens aren't that big. These will look better when the truck is painted, but I need them on the truck before we lower it. The headlights were necessary because I've been spoiled by the headlights on our GMC Envoy. These will light up the darkness!
The old vinyl bench seat had gone hard and busted open in places. especially where you sit. Also, because these trucks sit high off the ground, you slide out of them, wearing the side of seat closest to the door. I found these seats in a later model C1500 and bought them. Here Joe is making a sliding track to mount them on, and you can see them dummied into place. We're going to go back to the El Camino in a few weeks to get it back on the road. Some of the next C10 projects may take longer, and I'll need something to drive to work. Thanks for looking!
We finally got all the front end parts installed. It turns out that the frame may have been tweaked a little bit around the area where the core support and bumper bolt on. Also, the bumper also isn't straight. It was taken off of a bare frame, so we had no way of knowing it was pushed in a bit on the passenger's side. But if you look at pictures 2 and 3 you can see the change. The early model front clip has it's mounts in different locations, and wasn't bolted in some places. Now with everything where it belongs most of the annoying rattles have gone away. The truck is a 1981, but the grille, headlight bezels and grille surround came from two different 1987 trucks. Because this isn't really a restoration in the common use of the word, I'm not concerned about having the correct 1981 parts.
Thanks for looking!