Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: RONNYinWAXHAW's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View RONNYinWAXHAW's profile Entries: 23
Views: 3835
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (5): 1 2 [3] 4 5

08-14-2011 08:33 AM Starting on the front clip
We took a break after coming back from the junkyard, and I went over to Joe's in the evening to lend a hand. Joe's neighbor Todd was there too. We took the old clip off, and then fought two stubborn pins in the driver's door hinges before mounting the "new" front clip.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #13]

08-13-2011 02:50 PM junkyard harvest
Today Joe, his son and I went out to a local yard that Joe knew had truck parts. We stopped and got breakfast biscuits thinking we'd be there for a while harvesting the parts we were after. Lo and behold, the guy has all these front clips already off and on the ground. Score! I had my pick of three and chose the red one in the first photo. The hood was gone, but there was another one there that would work, so we got it. We also got core support bolts and cushions and harvested some fender bolts off one that had taken a hard hit in the front. The trucks in the '80s had a cowl piece with a plastic grate under it, and we picked it up too. We also got a tilt column from a Blazer. We picked all this up for under $200.00!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #12]

07-16-2011 10:53 PM Front End 2
After dropping the Fleetside off, I discovered I had taken the keys home with me. Clever move! So I went over today and hung out for a while as work started. The first shot shows the truck on stands. Please ignore the rusted tube grille. I also noticed the "engineering" that went on when the early (73-80) front clip was installed. Photo 2 shows how to use extra fasteners as spacers when the bolt is too long. Photo three shows I should've bought sway bar bushings too. Later I'll add drop spindles and shorter springs, so we get to do this again!

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #11]

07-16-2011 02:34 PM C10 Front end
Yesterday I dropped the Fleetside off with all the new front end parts. Joe, the guy I bought the Fleetside from will be doing most of the heavy labor on this project. My son is in the Army National Guard and will shortly deploy to Iraq. While at Joe's I snapped this picture of the two trucks that will become one truck. The rear from the StepSide is now under the Fleetside (that's another story). It seems to be geared numerically lower. I haven't checked the ratio, and the tag is missing. There's a 700R4 going in there later on.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #10]

07-09-2011 02:29 PM another shocker
I took the fleetside to a shop the other day. It wants to wander to the left, and I wanted that checked. I also don't want some freshly graduated rookie cop thinking I'm driving drunk. WOW! It turns out that everything was bad. Well it is a 30 year old truck! It's been neglected for quite a while, it seems. I took the guy's parts list and looked everything up online and beat his prices. I also got the guy I bought it from to do the labor and just add it to what I'm paying him.
We're in a rainy season here in the Carolinas, with daily afternoon/evening thunderstorms. I've been trying to put back on/replace the parts that I can that will make it a driver. The mirrors were bad, and the inside mirror was lying on the seat. The driver's side seatbelt had turned to bacon (if you've seen the Hanes T-shirt ads with Michael Jordan you get that). I was out replacing the seatbelt when the rain came. I managed to put the new driver's side mirror on yesterday. I didn't take any pics. But hey, the old fat guy turned some wrenches.
Thanks for looking.

[Entry #9]

Pages (5): 1 2 [3] 4 5