Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: oldguy829's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View oldguy829's profile Entries: 57
Views: 34380
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (12): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

05-18-2011 02:17 PM 53 coupe
Still have a lot of tweaks to do, door gaps, rocker panels, etc. But this is the first time Ive had all the sheet metal assembled. Had to roll it outside to see what it looked like.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #57]

05-12-2011 10:32 AM 53 coupe
This is an example of the tweaks needed. The door is perfectly set along the cowl and rear quarter. Gap is the same top and bottom, yet larger in the middle. It looks worse than it is. A layer of 18 gauge steel welded to the rear quarter and tapered at the ends will create a consistent gap. Once all the rough-in work is done, everything will be cleaned up and sanded for a heavy coat of epoxy sealer. As rough as it looks, a coat of high build primer should cover 99% of it. The cowl will need a skim coat to cover the weld seams and shape it a bit.


(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #56]

05-12-2011 10:22 AM 53 coupe
forgot to mention, I also took 1/2 inch out of the center of the front bumper, so the ends would tuck up against the fenders better.
Had to attack the rear bumper differently. The ends had to stay in place to match the tail light bezels. I made 3 long cuts, top and bottom at each end where it wraps around the corner. Reformed it to match the tail light bezel and tuck in to the fender recess.
Also welded the gas filler pipe to the body, centered on the hole I drilled in the bumper. It will be hidden behind the license plate.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #55]

05-12-2011 10:13 AM 53 stude
Once I had all the panels stripped, I started fixing the body. 60 years of dents and dings under the bondo, and a tiny bit of rust. Lots of hammer and dolly work and a little cutting and welding and the body is solid. Now the fun part. Nothing fits.
The cowl work I expected, due to chopping the top. But the poor cowl to hood fit was stock. Welded in 1/8 inch flat bar at both ends, tapered. Then slit the top of cowl in the center and hammered it back a bit (Hood would hang up in the middle). Gap is now consistent with less than a mm of difference end to end. Front of the hood was a mess. Added over an 1/8th inch to each side of the nose and contoured it to match the grill surround. Also added an 1/8 to the latch plate to close up that gap. Impossible to get a good fit at the intersection of the hood, cowl and fender. Did some cutting, hammering and welding to bring them all together.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #54]

04-15-2011 11:54 AM surface rust.
stripping the hood was harder than expected. Simply couldn't get the black out of the pits. Switched to Naval Jelly. Not as strong as Ospho, but being a gel it stays put better and stays active longer. Laid on a thick coat, covered it with saran wrap and left it overnight. Reactivated it the next day and scrubbed with a wire cup. Success.


(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #53]

Pages (12): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.