Interior going in. I skipped all the ad naseum description about reupholstering the seats. I more than covered that, no pun intended, in my earlier entries on the bronze convertible.
These were easier anyway, the springs and frames were in excellent condition on this car. I used the old side panels and armrest panels, they were decent enough original, so I cleaned them up and put 'em back in they way they were, after lubricating all the window regulators, and adjusting everything.
I've also installed new rubber weather strips in the door and trunk jambs, and new U rubber around the quarter windows. This car does have new carpeting, which I'll get around to vacuuming once I clean up and finish everything else.
I've assembled the rear bumper. Two of my tail light lenses were broken, so I looked for another pair on ebay. Looks like decent used ones are bringing lots of money. They'd still need to be restored, to be cleaned and the silver part around the outside edges to be scuffed and painted. Which means hours and hours of masking.
I decided to buy reproductions. The fit is respectable, and they look great.
I spent lots of time aligning both bumpers. They're much more difficult than fenders or doors. Glad they're done.
The car is pretty much finished, except for the wheels and trim. I still have to put the interior back in, and put an O-ring in the transmission shift selector shaft.
I ended up fixing it the same way. Put it on with all the fasteners loose in all the brackets, lined it up on the driver side the best I could, tightened it down.
Then I tightened the passenger side, and pulled the center with a come-along, and tightened the center stiffener brackets. Before pulling, I protected the bumper where the chain hook was, with a thick washer and numerous layers of duct tape.
My helper used a 2 x 4 as a giant pry bar to push the passenger side of the bumper up and in as I tightened the bolts. It worked.
I also sanded and painted the hood vent trims. I painted them with the touch-up gun, and tediously wiped off the ridges with my finger, a rag, and some reducer. I clearcoated over everything.
Time to start assembling the rear bumper. Loving the expensive new chrome....