Using 220 paper on the Dura-Block, I went over the whole body again, and solved lots of minor problems.
At the last minute, I decided not to re-install the vinyl top on this car. I thought it made it look kind of old-man-ish and detracts from this car's classic muscle car lines. Oh yeah, it also costs $350 to have installed professionally. I decided to fill the trim holes, and sand and paint the roof with the rest of the body.
Back at it. Using the long DuraBlock sanding block with 220, dry sanding the fenders.
I built this stand to work the fenders on, out of a found pallet and some scraps of wood. It worked out well for me, as I can work outside and didn't have to move the car every time I wanted to work.
Although I'm not detailing the engine compartment, I'm doing the paint job as correctly as possible, painting the door jambs, fender and trunk jambs. Since the fenders will be painted ON the car, I did the jambs here on the stand first.
Slo-ow progress in the wintertime. Also I've been unfaithful to this car, working on another. But I won't junk up this journal with those sordid details right now.
The lastest progress on this car:
Door and trunk jambs in primer. I removed the trunk lid to sand the underside by hand, and will spray color on the top edge of it, that is pretty tough to get it on right when the car is assembled, so I'll cheat a little bit.
The primer on the underside of the lid lifted. I sanded it all smooth again, which took hours. I'll hit it with some sealer before I try and prime again.
I may be shooting to finish this car in time for the Easter Forest Park car show, just like with the convertible before it. But I'm going to finish the other piece of junk first. More on that later.
I also sanded all of the exterior, in preparation for the final coat of primer. I still have work to do on the hood, but everything else is done.
I masked off the door opening on the passenger side, and then removed all the rubber weatherstrips from both sides, and sanded both jambs.
For whatever reason, someone worked over the passenger door jamb with a hammer! I had to take the door apart, knock the dents out with a big hammer and block of wood, and grind and fill the damaged area. At any rate, finally now everything is ready for the final coat of primer.