I drew lines with a magic marker well away from the rusted edge and old patch. I then used masking paper to make a paper template for a new patch. I made other templates for the small inner peices I'll have to make. I traced around them onto a chunk of the old driver side quarterpanel that I cut off previously. I cut these out with the air chisel, then trimmed them to fit with shears.
I then used the die grinder to cut along the marker lines on the car to remove the rusty edges. The outer patch being slightly larger provides plenty of room to work on the inner peices.
Time to start on the passenger quarterpanel. It has just a little bit of rust on the bottom corner. The inner trunk extension and wheelhouse look good, so this should be easy and move fast. I can see an old scrape-type dent has been filled near the body line, but this should be no big deal because it is easily accessible from behind.
I ground away from the rusted area. Underneath, is old filler, and an old repair panel that someone brazed on right over the rusted hole. Most of this patch has since rusted away. My repair will be better than this one, as like the driver side, I intend to make a nice patch and butt weld it in place. I would never sandwich new metal right over top of rusty metal like someone did here previously.
I pulled the car outside, so I could turn it around and work on the other side.
I hammered a dent out of the rear edge of the trunk lid. It was pretty minor, and somewhat accessible from the back side, so I did not have to use a dent puller, or beat it to death with the hammer and dolly. I ground the area off to apply a skim coat of filler, and discovered the passenger side of the lid had filler on it also. I ground off the whole back surface, skim coated it, and sanded it with the airfile. No big deal since it is relatively flat, no compound curves. I also cleaned up a funky spot at the top center edge, possibly very old damage caused by a magnetic CB antenna or something.
I also spent a brief amount of time on this dent in the right front fender. The bottom of this fender has rust and an old repair, so I will be spending more time here later.
Before the quarterpanel is 100% finished, it's time to jump ahead to something else!
The driver door. It is straight and rust free, mostly rust free. I circled each little parking-lot-door-ding with a magic marker. I drew a fast outline drawing on a peice of paper. I then made a 'map' of where each dent was. I intend to cover the whole door with a light skim coat of filler, but I didn't want one of those little dings showing up as a low spot after sanding for an hour, so I figured it best to know exactly where everything was.
I removed the panel, the handle and lock, but could not get the mirror off. It turned into it's own little mini-project. I ended up putting the die grinder cut-off wheel inside the door, then chucking it into the die grinder like that, used it to cut a slot in one of the studs for the mirror, and then taking the die grinder back apart so I could remove everything. It worked. I used a giant screwdriver in the slot I cut and it worked to turn the stud so I could get the mirror off without killing anything.
My plan to know exactly where each little dent on the door was-worked somewhat. I still had a high spot right on the lower door edge. I worked it gently with the pick hammer for a few minutes more, and laid on a little skim coat of filler in this area. The contour of the door is easier than the quarterpanel, so I used the airfile and got it done fairly quick.
I also finessed the rear quarter some more, and welded a small patch inside the trunk floor. I used seam sealer around the inside edges of my new quarterpanel, and tied up a few other loose ends.
I finally welded the last peice of the inner wheelhouse in place and did some other odds-and-ends welding that needed to be done on this quarterpanel on Friday. I then ground it to bare metal and this morning I put on the first application of body filler.
It went fairly well and relatively quick, but for the one 'black hole' for body filler up near the top edge. I don't know how thick it is, but I think it took four layers to get it right!
The arched part of the body line came out very well, and the filler is really no more than a skim coat there. There is a little more than I'd like on the front part, but none of it is particulary thick, so I guess I didn't do too awful bad. I apply the bondo, let it harden, and then use a 'cheese grater' to rough-shape it. I then use a DA sander and 36 grit for faster intermediate shaping. Since I don't do this professionally, and this part is very difficult for me, I do better and minimize mistakes if I move slow, so I stopped using the power tools at this point. I just used 50 grit on a long sanding block, and another peice folded over a section of a paint stir-stick, sanding in criss-cross patterns so as not to make ruts in the filler.
The third photo is what it looks like now, more than 6 hours later. I did use the airfile for a few minutes on the front edge. It's not done, but is relatively close. By far this is the roughest panel on the car, and the rest of it should go much faster.