I originally planned to paint the car with the doors on, hood loose, and fenders off to the side, as shown in the first photo. The fender inner brows were suspended from wires from the front of the hood. Since the color is metallic, I was afraid the fenders might come out a slightly different color or metallic grain. So I decided to paint it as shown in the second photo, doors bolted on, fenders loosely on, and hood off to the side. I did this so I could paint the edges and jambs of the fenders, hood, and doors. My garage is wide, but not very deep. Having the hood off to the side meant that I could pull the car farther forward and not have to worry about the front edge of the hood. The front grille filler panel and earlier mentioned fender brows ended up getting painted on a bench off to the side.
This is the mystery quarterpanel. Nine metric tons of bondo, but it looks and feels relatively decent now. Hopefully it will all shine and look fairly straight.
One more minor disaster: Overnight, I left the trunklid laying upside down on a blanket which turned out to be slightly damp, and it caused the primer to have a bunch of tiny bubbles where it contacted the blanket. I thought the etch primer was supposed to prevent this sort of thing, but apparently not this time. It actually wasn't too big a deal. I DA'd the area down to bare metal, and used the touch up gun to lay a few thick coats of fill primer back on it. I'm ready for final wetsanding, and paint.
My 30 year veteran friend, Ron, says to use 400 grit, and the paint store says 600. 600 doesn't seem to provide much of a surface at all for new paint to grab onto, and 400 seems a little coarse. I'll split the difference and wetsand the whole thing with 500 grit....
This is my improvisational spray booth. I built it out of much of the same material as the earlier sandblasting booth. I used drywall screws and staples to hold it all together. This is the photographic proof of exactly why my neighbors love me so much. Or maybe it's the noise......
The heavy blankets are to protect the engine from dust and overspray. I haven't decided whether to paint with the hood on, or fenders on. I need to do the inside jambs of the fenders, the edges of the hood, the fronts of the door jambs, etc, so I'm not sure how to do this.
This other shot is of the interior, or rather the lack of. Spraying a lot of $200-a-gallon paint on inside floor pans of this non-showcar driver, only to cover them with carpet anyway, does not fit my budget. I've elected to go with Rust Oleum Leather Brown in aerosol cans for that job, I did all the floors and inside quarter panels with only two cans, and so the cost instead was just eight bucks!
This is what it looks like after two thick coats of primer. I bought a gallon for $45. It came from a place called St. Louis Auto Panel. This is the kind of store that sells the Chinese knock-offs body panels, and generic brands of paint and supplies. It's probably called something else, but most major cities probably have some kind of store like this.
This primer is Mar-Hyde brand and comes in two parts, the gallon of buff-colored (also available in gray) very thick liquid, and a small little squeeze bottle of clear liquid activator. The stuff took a few hours longer to dry than the label says, but overall I'm very happy with it, and would definitely buy it again for my next project.