The two door hard top is just not happenin'. I couldn't get back into it after the house project. I've decided to set it aside until it can become "fun" again. Here's where things spiral totally out of control.
Since I've been sitting on an un-restored convertible, and the 2 door hardtop, both are '63 Impalas, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have some extra parts around to use, and sell the excess. That's why I bought this gold 4 door sedan when it showed up on Craigslist, for $400.
I sold the bumpers for $300, plus another few hundred dollars worth of other parts, then took the car all the way down, so I could keep ALL the leftovers, kept the frame, etc. It's now December, and I still haven't found a place to store all the rest of it, but this is only the beginning.
The garage is totaled. It's had all the house-addition project it can stand. It's tough, but this is the way the Impala has looked for many months. I sympathize with people who go for years having to see their favorite project car looking like this. Excavating the Impala was a couple day process, and I've still got a long way to go before I get my garage back the way I want it. We're still going to drywall the stairwell, living room and dining room, so I've still got a lot of drywall and other stuff in the garage to work around for awhile.
First up, The donor van was crashed in the left front corner, and the fuse block took some of the hit. In May, I scored one from the ol' Pick N Pull for $15. Was in a hurry on the way out, scoring parts for the GF's daughter's car, but managed to hack a fuse block out of a '99 Chevy conversion van.
I used the awl to carefully disassemble both boxes, strip the new one clean, and one wire at a time, transfer to the new box. The new cover fits on, and the mount tabs are not broken off, so this will hopefully stow inside the fender somewhere when I get to that stage of the project.
....Adding on to the house. The GF and I built this shed-dormer on top of my house. We cut the roof on October 10, 2009, and worked with sheet plastic through one of the rainiest Octobers on record here in the St. Louis area.
I built the outer wall laying on the attic floor, a few days before. We cut the roof on 10-10, and the same day, we stood up the exterior wall. With a little help from my very knowledgeable and experienced cousin, we set the roof rafters, and had it sheathed and roofed a few days later.
We added two bedrooms and a full bathroom. This journal is about cars, not houses, but I had to show what I've been doing for the last year, and why I haven't accomplished anything on the car.
It's all finished inside except for the stairwell, carpet and baseboard. The monsters are living in the bedrooms and using the bathroom, so it's ALMOST finished enough for me to get back to my car project.....after I put a transmission in the GF's front wheel drive minivan.....
Determined to spend as little as possible on this right now, I'm trying this solution to save a few bucks, and to "Keep My GM Car All GM" I intend to use the van's original fuel pump, fuel sending unit, wiring harness, tank pressure sensor, etc, so I cut the small opening from the new reproduction '63 gas tank, and hammer-welded in a section I cut earlier from the van's tank. I had to lower the hole a little bit, so that when installed, the spring tension that holds the pump strainer down on the floor of the tank was similar to the way it was in the van. Hope this works.
My journal entries are few and far between, as are my finances. I'm turning the attic space in to my house in to finished bedrooms, which takes pretty much all of my time and money.
I did manage to get the computer reprogrammed, completed by a company called Sick Performance. I have it back now, but unfortunately I'm not yet close to being able to start the engine to see how it all worked out. Ryan, at Sick Performance, was helpful answering lots of questions about my swap. Even though modifications-wise, my swap is not too out of the ordinary, I know little about it and am learning it all the long way. The computer tune I had done included turning off the van's anti-theft system, disabling the airbags, anti-lock brakes, removing the EVAP emission system, and the EGR valve, among other things. Beyond that, my tune is pretty much stock.
At Riverside Salvage, for ten bucks I picked up this bundle of brake and fuel lines from a 1998 Cadillac DeVille. It's an assembly of both steel and nylon fuel lines. I probably won't use it whole, probably just parts and fittings to figure out how to plumb it all together with the fuel injection system on the engine.