Harold came over to work on the wiring harness...making one out of two, the story of this 66 Chevy.. He decided that i needed to put the front clip on and fix the floor before we did that.. We dragged the front clip out and admired all the lovely rust..
I got the two steering columns made into one, so that's done. Went over to Jason's to get him to start on the Falcon... This week, he swears...
On Project #4, The Bondo bucket. I worked on the hood. Welded two pieces of strap steel across the pointy end, and made them into an angle iron brace. Then banged a piece of sheet steel more or less into shape and welded that on.
The other side of the sheet steel was cut into little tabs that i bashed over and welded to what little metal there was on the nose of the hood. Then kitty hair.
It's pretty lumpy, but seems strong. This is a project for me, so it wont ever be for sale, as if.
Cant get to the steering column untill i get the hood off the workbench, so... Welded on a piece of strap steel on the back side where the flange was rusted off, and kitty haired that..
Here is a picture of the front, before... much rust... I cut most of that off, and painted it with "One Step" before the light faded..
had to go to the exotic wood store today, and stopped to check out a street rod, i think it's a 47 ford. The guy, John was out talking to somebody..He's a body guy, and works on rods.. had a 37 ford in progress and a few other pieces around in the yard... Got lots of good info about epoxy primer and so on...
Nice guy... And remembering the words of the prophets, "It's not what you know, it's who you know that knows something"
The story is that the last guy that had this truck loved to burn tires, and kept throwing in engines and blowing them up... When i got it, it had a blown up 400 engine and good, i hope trans, and 10" wide tires on the back... The trans was hooked up to the clutch pedal for shifting, and everything was totally buggered.
So i kept the trans, and jason put in a 250 out of a rusted out 66 3/4 ton. This one is supposed to be a 64, but no VIN, no nothing.
In the first picture, you can see the many crude hacks to the frame to put in different engines and radiators.
I had to cut the bumper bolts off, so that's picture #1
#2 shows some patches i put on the frame. i suppose i dont need them but it was cutting and welding practice.. Even my bad welds look better than what was in there. Next, make one steering column out of two and put that in.
Got the Falcon Motor and tranny to Jasons, had all of that and a seat and radiator and stuff on the back of the doodle bug.. looked like Jed Clampett-mobile. Good thing this is really Appalachia, i would get arrested for Aesthetic Crimes in California... But tow good old boys liked my truck.. Verdict, "I'd drive that!"
Project #4, The Bondo Bucket
Getting near the end of this mess, putting on the last layers of matt, and getting the above windshield area filled in... pretty organic looking, i guess i'll have to live with it.. A few areas are close enough to primer.. this is going to put the "Fifty Foot Rule" to the limit... if it looks ok from the sixth row, it's good enough for stage sets, but i'll take what i can get... The Ranchero is now job one..