Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: strummin67's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View strummin67's profile Entries: 130
Views: 29474
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (26): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

10-26-2014 11:18 PM Well...
Not much new here. I haven't really done much on the car since the last entry. The truck I've been driving is having brake and front end issues so I'm back driving the wagon again.

Kind of a year from hell. I found out my now ex girlfriend has been cheating on me so I moved out of the house I was sharing with her. I'm back in an apartment with no covered parking and a little bit of rust is starting to show through.

I bought another 250 for it a couple of weeks ago. This is to replace the one I had stolen out of a friend's storage yard last Summer. This one was running when it was pulled and the plan is to put it in after the truck is safe to drive again. That is scheduled for Thanksgiving weekend. The engine swap, who knows.

  [Entry #130]

11-18-2013 06:31 PM '64 hood
Two Sundays ago I sold my '63 hood, which has been on the car since I bought it. I bought a '64 hood about eight years ago to replace it. You know the story. Life gets in the way and you don't get to do things as quickly as you'd hoped.

The guy who bought my hood was nice enough to help me put the new one on. So far the only problem I'm having is getting it aligned to where the back doesn't stick up.

I've contacted one of the Nova forums I belong to as well as the Facebook page and I've taken their advice and tried what they told me to do. It's just not working.


(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #129]

10-28-2013 07:08 PM Shut off switch
Where has the time gone?

Well since my last post I've moved into a house with a garage with my girlfriend 6 months ago. Since then, things have been quite busy around here but I did manage to deal with an ongoing issue on the wagon that's been bugging me.

My car has a electrical drain somewhere and if left alone for a few weeks will eventually kill the battery. I had a bolt-type disconnect that worked but only if the threads were aligned and it usually took a few tries to get it right. I found a racing type disconnect switch on Ebay and found a random weekend to install it.

I work at an electrical company sorting through the pieces that come back from completed jobs and someone tossed out a deep octagon box. I grabbed it and used it to mount under my battery tray. I painted it a flat black so you can't hardly see it.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #128]

09-17-2012 12:49 AM Taking a short break
The last two weekends I decided I was not going to work on the wagon. Last weekend was our chapter Inliner's picnic and this weekend I decided to fix some little things on the truck.

The week before last I stopped at the store on the way home from work. I backed into the parking spot, which I don't normally do. As I was walking back to leave I noticed something hanging down making contact with the ground under the truck. I opened the hood and discovered it was the vacuum advance line hanging from the distributor.

I was going to hook it back up to the carb but there was no place to connect it to. Puzzled, I had a friend look at it and he said the barb connector on the carb had fallen out. Sure enough I found a tiny hole where it would have gone. I got three spare carbs with the truck when I bought it. Kevin said to bring him the best one and we'd rebuild it and use it.

This afternoon I had a look at the three carbs. Two were Holley 1920s and the other was a Carter BBS, like the one on the truck. I looked at the barb fitting on the BBS and wondered if I could just pull it out and just put it in the working carb. I got a pair of pliers and with little effort it came right out.

I cleaned out the port with a Q-tip and used a little red Permatex to seal it in place. I picked up a new vacuum line at O'Rielley's and the job was finished.

I have an oil bath air filter that I've been wanting to replace with a conventional paper filter. In my two 5 gallon buckets of spare parts was a 1bbl air filter housing. I ground off the old paint, primed it and painted it wrinkle finish black.

It was now 5pm and not warm enough for the paint to form wrinkles. I got out my girlfriend's hair dryer and used it to heat the paint but that didn't work. I brought it inside and put the housing in my gas oven. It has a pilot light so it's stays a little warm in there. Within about 5 minutes the wrinkles were starting to form. My girlfriend had come over so we went out for dinner. When I came back the finish was about perfect.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #127]

09-04-2012 12:58 AM Continuing on
Labor Day weekend. I spent two days working on the bodywork. The front driver's side door is about half done. I still need to treat the rust and figure out what to fill the holes with.


(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #126]

Pages (26): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.