Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: ratpackin's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View ratpackin's profile Entries: 3
Views: 624
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

05-25-2008 01:34 AM old setup pic-
Here's a couple of poor shots - (cell phone camera shots of old photos) but you can see it engine setup as it looked when fresh in '88. the valve cover isn't even bolted on. - The Chevy in a local show back in '80 or so.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #3]

05-25-2008 01:24 AM New carbs for same 'ol Weiand intake
I've decided to stay with the dual quad intake. I know I'm sacraficing some power, but I like the nastolgic look. -and this car was no dog by a long shot. -Also it all fits under the hood (barely). I did purchase a pair of Edelbrock 600s to replace the old 500 Competition AFBs. That ought to wake it up some. I've also recieved my upgraded brakes from CPP. A pair of front Wilwoods, dual master cylinder and a 9" booster. Should be a bit safer to drive after this. Still need to pull the engine and haul it to the machine shop- hopefully the block is salvagable.

[Entry #2]

02-13-2008 12:14 AM '57 150 re-vamp has begun
Ok this is big folks- (for me at least). My big block '57 was pretty hot stuff when I bought it in '79. It went through a transplant from a 396 to 454 in '88 just in time for our wedding. It was very strong and seemed to run like a top, but 6 months later - it ground to a stop while cruising at 50. Friends said they think it was a broken crank. Well it's sat since then... collecting dust, oil and fuel probably turning to tar.
I've begun the resurrection- If the engines unsavable- I'll buy a new one. But plans are to pull the engine, send the block to the machine shop for cleaning and inspection. Meanwhile I'll start by adding power brakes, update the front disks, cpp goodies like new A arms. Later I'll work my way back replacing the muncie with a 5 speed and the Chrysler 8.75 with a ford 9 inch.
Many parts are ordered. I'll hopefully take some before shots this weekend. My daughter and wife volunteered to help clear the garage to allow for work space. T -minus 4 days

[Entry #1]