Over the holidays I did more work on the wood replacement in the cowl. Picture 1 shows the steel replacement next to the 75 year old wood. In picture 2, I was fitting the dash to make sure I had the right width. In picture 3 my daughter and I fit the assembly into the cowl. It still needs a couple of tweaks but not bad for the first try. Next I'll have to attach them at the base to the rectangular tubing that replaced the sills.
I spent the last two weekends filling the holes on my firewall. The larger holes were filled by cutting out a piece to fit inside and then MIG welding around it. I had to tack it a little at a time as not to warp it. Picture 1 shows what I started with.
We got the center crossmembers and the brake pedal, master cylinder and booster mount welded in place. The piece of angle in front of the rear spring mounts will be removed once the crossmember to mount the shocks is in place.
This past weekend we finally got to start the engine. My daughter Kristen had the honors of being the first one to turn the key to fire up the 283. With a little timing adjustment it fired up pretty quick and sounded great (open headers!). Now to get some more work done on the chassis.