Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: cb_chrysler's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View cb_chrysler's profile Entries: 38
Views: 3945
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (8): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

06-07-2012 04:06 AM Steering Column
I had to change where and how the steering column was mounted due to the width of the Hemi. I shortened the VS Holden column and made a new sliding tube at the bottom with a new bearing mount. I then made a folded section and cut it on half and bolted it together for the lower half. This will hold it to the base plate so that it will tilt and telescope, and also allow access to the bearing circlip and U joint. I moved the original pressing in the firewall across to the new location and it fits really well, not that it will ever be seen with the booster and washer tank hiding it all. I have yet to work out how to join the next section. The lower section is Nissan Navara and the outer shaft has been knurled to keep the 22mm bearing secure.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #38]

06-07-2012 03:57 AM Washer Tank
I have scratched my head for years about where to put the windscreen washer tank and after making the aluminium air box I thought that was the way to go. I cut out a cardboard template and then made the base to fit behind the brake booster. The idea is to bolt it from behind and fit it flush against the paint. The pump will be in the RH cowl and will pump up the RH pillar. The wiring is right there at the column so that will be easy too. This way none of the bolts or hoses will be visible.
Last week I was able to weld aluminium fairly well, but this week it all turned to sh1t again so I tacked it together and sent it out to the experts.
I made 3 plugs to weld into the rear, two for holding it in place tapped blind to 1/4 NC, and the other drilled through and tapped to 1/8 gas for the water outlet. I bought the top to weld on.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #37]

06-02-2012 07:17 AM Exhaust
The exhaust system I made for the V6 was a single 2.1/2 inch. It runs two mufflers, both straight through, one is offset, the other straight. I kept the rear section, discarded the engine pipes and started again for the Hemi. I started with a box of mandrel bends and first made a Y piece that runs over the trans mount to a flange for each engine pipe. Then I added a Cat and an 02 sensor both sides to the engine pipes. The headers are from S&P and have a 4 bolt flange, not sure I really like this as it looks like a poor fit and a good place for a leak to establish, time will tell and if it does I will weld it solid.

The header outlet ran straight down but I had to cut an angle and reform it to get it running at about 45 degrees. I made a couple of new mounts and cut off some old ones, polished a few sections as I went to avoid holding large pieces up to the polishing machine. Sometimes the welds went beautifully, others not so good, TIG can be tricky for no obvious reason some times and having a shakey hand does not help. I had to make some alloy heat shields along the way for items like the rear bump stops. Next job is to detail it all and make a bolt list.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #36]

05-21-2012 06:21 AM Steering box hoses and sheild
The steering box is very close to the pump so rather than have a short hose which will be stressed, I ran a stainless pipe across the front and then used the new hose I had made for the previous engine (V6) and ran it back to the pump. I also made an alloy shield to keep the exhaust heat off the hoses and box.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #35]

05-21-2012 06:17 AM Pedals
I cut the plastic fly-by-wire pedal off and made a new one out of Alloy, looks much better and gave me the angle I needed. I added a stop so that it doesn't break if I stomp it too hard.
I also cut the end off the ugly brake pedal and made a new alloy pad and bolted it on. Not sure if I will drill some holes in them for looks and grip, or leave them like this. I added the brake switch which has two sets of contacts, one to unlock the converter. I also added a bump stop for the pedal return to stop it clanging and also to make sure the plastic stop switch does not get smashed.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #34]

Pages (8): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.