Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: tfeverfred's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View tfeverfred's profile Entries: 39
Views: 10946
now viewing from the beginning || view most recent entries

Pages (8): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

12-03-2006 01:11 AM The Chassis Arrives
10/12/06

The chassis arrived today from Total Performance. It looks really good. All the welds are clean and there was no damage from shipping.

I know it's not much, but it's a start and I've waited 30 years to build a T bucket. Yea, 30. In my head I've built 4 or 5. I hope I did them right.

At this time I want to thank my boss who has allowed me to build my hot rod in his warehouse. He has given me some good advice and is really interested in how it's going. Thanks, Markus!

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #39]

12-03-2006 01:27 AM Priming the Chassis
10/14/06

Houston has two seasons. Hot and humid. For this reason I am priming the chassis. I may decide to paint it also. From what I can tell from the Total Performance manual, everything bolts on and I think I can assemble all the main chassis and paint it and not have many scratches. The part that would most likely get scratched would be covered by the body and power plant. I know this is not how most people do it, but I have thought it out and I think it will work. This is my first hot rod and it's a learning experience. I hope I don't get my first lesson the hard way.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #38]

12-03-2006 01:58 AM Parts and Paint.
11/18/06

Well my mounts for the motor, trans and rear shocks arrived. I am doing a budget build and decided to try my hand at painting the frame with spray can paint. I know this is really low budget, but I figured why not. I prepped the frame really well when I primed it and I'll be extra careful with this step.

Well, she came out great! Everyone who has seen it can't believe I did it with spray paint. It just goes to show what reading and following instructions can do.

I let the pieces dry a few days and assembled them. It looks really good, but the only people who have any idea it's a car chassis are people familiar with cars. My girl thought it was a weight bench! I'm going to have to have a really long chat with her.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #37]

12-03-2006 02:06 AM Brake Pieces
The brake master cylinder, actuating rod and rear shock support bolts arrived and I installed them. I didn't tighten the pedal assembly as it will need to be moved around when I get ready to install the body. Everything fit like it was supposed to. So far, Total performance has lived up to their reputation. The quality of their work is above and beyond my expectations.

I apologize for the quality of the pics. I guess I need to invest in a digital camera, but I'm old fashioned I guess.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #36]

12-30-2006 05:37 PM Merry Christmas to me!
A lot has been done since my last entry. First off I found out that the guy in the warehouse next to where I work knew how to paint cars and do other things as well. Turns out he's a gear head and was working on a 51 Chevy. No wonder he was always staying late.

So, he reshot my frame and agreed to do other paint work as long as I help and I buy the materials. How could I say no.

Second, Santa got me a complete frontend for Christmas! So, here's the frame with part of the front suspension attached. The radius rods, tie rod and steering arm are not seen as I have to get more film. Stay tuned.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #35]

Pages (8): [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8