Photo #1 - This is the bracket and support area where I glued fabric directly to the firewall components. The 3 studs are for the gas pedal and the 2 holes are for the clutch and brake masters.
Photo #2 - Here's a shot with the two firewall panels in place. I didn't want to penetrate the firewall with any clips or bolts so the panels are held in place with friction and a few pieces of velcro.
Photo #3 - A close up of the area where the panels and the direct-glued fabric match up. Note the gas pedal has been installed here to check for clearances.
Photo #1 - Another view of the direct glued fabric area. I wasn't sure how this was going to look, but I'm satisfied with the results. Plus VERY few people will ever even look up under the dash where this is located.
Photo #2 - And a slightly different view of the entire firewall treatment.
As some of you may have observed, so far I've been doing everything related to upholstery EXCEPT to actually upholster a seat. There is a reason for that. It scares the dickens out of me. But the procrastination period must come to an end. So with great fear and trepidation I move into the last, and for me the most challenging, facet of a DIY interior. Sewing and covering the bucket seats. Once again, fair warning...I post up this journal only to show how I am going about this, not as some technical guidebook for how YOU should do it. Read the many tutorials on this and other sites to get the straight scoop from the experts. This is just one shade tree rodder flailing away at the task.
Photo # 1- Here is what I am starting with. I got the seats for free from 454 Rattler (my good friend Jerry) who had them in his model A coupe for a while. He tells me he pulled them out of a wrecked Subaru and paid only $5 for the pair because the cloth inserts were blood stained and it couldn't be completely removed.
Photo # 2 - I begin be dismantling one seat and stripping the covers off the base cushion and the back. This is a shot of the seat back cover inside-out.
Photo # 3 - I then use a razor and small shears to cut all the seams apart, strip out all the foam backing, and separate each panel. Here are the pieces for just ONE bucket seat. I was amazed at how many parts there were once you get the thing torn down. The white one are the back sides of the vinyl pieces (they have a soft cotton backing) and the blue ones are the cloth insert pieces.
Photo # 1 - I cleaned off and ironed all the pieces so they would lay out as flat as possible. Note that the vinyl pieces should only be ironed from the back side under normal circumstances. However, I had some very bad ceases so I also ironed on the front (face) side of the vinyl but used a thin dish towel to prevent too much heat from getting through. Don't keep the iron in any one spot for very long or you could have a mess on you hands.
Photo # 2 - Next I taped the fabric pieces to poster board to trace and then cut out each pattern piece. Be sure to note all of the witness marks. If there are no witness marks or not enough to your liking, cut in more where you feel they might be necessary. I don't think you can have too many witness marks. Here are the paper patterns for one seat.
Photo # 3 - Then I traced each pattern piece onto the back side of the fabric and cut them out.