I made these mounting tabs and installed them on the inside of the fan shroud. I held them in place with JB Weld and after it dried, I drilled and installed rivot's to hold them in place. The bolts pass through the verticle frame mounts and the Radiator mounting tabs. It is very strong and I won't need to use radiator to firewall support rods.
I havenít worked on the 30 lately but I hit it hard this weekend. Iím using a 1940 Buick Radiator it has a 2Ē high performance core. I had the Radiator shop, rod it out and pressure test to 15 PSI. They also did a flow test and said all is well. Itís made of Copper, Brass and even has some cast iron in the tanks.
I found a OEM design electric fan the other day at a swap meet. I was hesitant to buy it but for $2, I figured what the heckÖIíll make it work. I also bought an after market Hot Rod AC/Heater kit, so I also had to mount the condenser.
Everything worked out great but it was a lot of work. Hereís a few pictures.
Dragged out the old radiator today to do a little back yard engineering to cool this thing. Itís a big copper, brass unit from a 1940 Buick. This setup up worked great with a 336ci, 13.5 compression, small block and a 4:56 gear. With a 10 PSI cap it cooled it without an electric fan. Itís all set up for 37 degree AN fittings and stainless braided hose.
Iím also adding a condenser for the A/C and a heavy duty 2600 cfm electric fan and shroud. Looks like everything is going to fit well but Iím going to have to get creative to route the A/C lines over/under or through the frame cradle.
Instead of using radiator support rods to the fire wall Iím going to stick with the frame mounted vertical side mounts. The guyís that laid this all out back in the 70ís really did a good job. Itís a very strong radiator mount and so different from what you see today.
Going to drop it off at the radiator shop and see if itís still usable. Since a new walker is near a grand I thought Iíd give it a try.
Since I'm doing a late 60's early 70's theme I'm using a lot of retro stuff inside the car. This weekend I went through all door handles and window cranks, etc.
Before starting the major work on the old Plymouth, I tried to knock out some of the more tedious stuff. I.e. window internals and inside/outside door handle linkages. The windows turned out to be easy because Iím using all the original stuff, regulators and the window run channels, etc.
The windows really fill up the door space and the bear claw latches also limited my options for the linkage. I really had to think through making something that would work.
It works but what a contraption it is!
Basically the door glass is sandwiched between two long rods that run vertical from top to bottom in the door. One attaches to the outside handle and the other to the bear claw latch release lever. At the bottom of the door I made stand off mount with a heart shaped cam/pivot. Each lobe of the heart has a mounting hole for the vertical rods. When I operate the door handle the pivot rocks back and forth and pops the latch. I havenít made the inside latch release yet but my thought is to make a straight rod that pivots contacting the latch release lever.
Like I said my home made mess of linkage works but I would be embarrassed if someone looked inside and saw it.