Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 1930u's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 1930u's profile Entries: 219
Views: 71890
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (44): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

04-10-2012 08:54 PM 1930u Headers and Side Pipes
Forgot to add the sample mock up ring pictures.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #144]

04-10-2012 07:01 PM 1930u Headers and Side Pipes
I was successful converting the big block Chevy headers to 392 hemi headers. I have one side done and it was not easy. Hopefully now that I been through it once the left side will be easier. I hope! It would have been much easier to work with mild steel instead of stainless but Iím glad I did the stainless. The collector O.D. is 4.550Ē. I could not find a side pipe tube or any stainless tube with a 4.550Ē I.D., so I made them out of 20 gauge mirror finish stainless sheet stock. I wanted a slip fit like Corvette Header side pipes.

The pictures show a few sample rings rolled to fit the collector just to make sure they would butt up for welding and also slip over the collectors. I sure didnít want to ruin the stainless sheet, so it took awhile to get it right.

I thought a 4Ē sheet roller would do the job but it would only shape the sheet to a 180. From there I was off to find someone that had a 3Ē sheet roller. The 3Ē hand roller did the job perfectly. Now I have to weld them up. I will also add that I still canít tig weld worth a hoot but grinding and polishing makes it all pretty.





(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #143]

04-01-2012 07:25 PM 1930u Hemi/Chevy Header Conversion
Still havenít been able to find any time for the 30u project but things should free up in the next couple of weeks. This weekend I did head out to the shop and the headers were still laying there.

I spent most of Saturday trying to teach myself how to TIG weld using a DC stick welder with a TIG torch. Didnít do so well, so I tried it again this morning and did a little better and fortunately a friend of my son stopped by and set me straight. Iím still having trouble welding the stainless steel tube but I think in time I will get it.

Hereís a few picís of todayís work. I had to hand form all the tube to fit the Hemi D-Port header flanges. Takes a lot of time. You will also see in the pictures just how close the Big Block Chevy and Early Hemi header flange patterns really are. This is a slick conversion.





(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #142]

01-29-2012 05:47 PM More header work
I went on vacation after Christmas and didnít get back until mid month. Just getting back to work on the Plymouth. All my parts were waiting on me when I returned. After working today, Iím much more confident that the big block Chevy headers are going to work now.

The Plymouth frame rails narrow from the rear to the front like many other 30ís cars. This causes some difficulty trying to lay out the header side pipe arrangement. I donít want the collectors and side pipes to extend out horizontally to far from the frame. I also want the side pipes centerline to be at near the same height as the bottom of the frame rail. I also have to make sure the header front tube doesnít interfere with the front tires and fenders when I turn stop to stop.

This was hard to figure out by just eye balling it so I made an adjustable holding fixture to clamp the collector in place at the right height and distance from the frame. It adjusts horizontally and vertically. Once I found the right spot I locked the collector in position and Iím building the headers from there. This worked really well allowing me to cut the header primary tubes back in a controlled manner in order make up and fit the transition pieces between the primary tubes and the block flanges.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #141]

12-26-2011 06:04 PM 1930u the profile
Per my previous entry- I set the body back on yesterday so I can fab up the headers. I want to make sure that all looks right and I want plenty of clearance around the frame and body. I rolled it outside today to get a better look at it all. Over all Iím happy with the profile. Currently the engine is raked back just a bit more than I care for but I have plenty of adjustment via slots on the bell housing mounts. While the body is on I plan to re-adjust all the suspension. The back end will be set down a little over and inch.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #140]

Pages (44): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.