Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 1930u's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 1930u's profile Entries: 223
Views: 78071
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (45): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

03-05-2011 09:16 PM 1930u- Assembling the 392
The pistons were all measured before the block was bored and at that time we also fit the rings and honed the pistons to accept the JE wrist pins. Everything has been bagged and tagged for awhile. All these parts are specific to the cylinder they were measured up for.

I chose Total Seal rings.

As today went on I did get 3 rod and piston assemblies installed. I'm a terribly slow engine builder because I treat everything like it's made of china. I hope to have the short block wrapped up tomorrow.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #103]

03-05-2011 08:56 PM 1930u- Assembling the 392
The wrist pins are almost 1" in diameter. Here's a couple shots of them and the buttons.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #102]

03-05-2011 08:49 PM 1930u- Assembling the 392

I'm trying to stage everything in the cleanest environment possible. I'm a stickler for clean parts. Back in high school I took a vocational auto mechanics class and the instructors Carl Combs and Don Cup really stayed on us to keep things clean. During those years I built a 13.5-1, 409 and a really cool 394 Olds for my buddies T-Bucket.

Here's the stock rods all completely reconditioned and re-bushed and honed to accept new full floating wrist pins and buttons.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #101]

03-05-2011 08:19 PM 1930u- Assembling the 392

Here's the way the day started. After re-inspecting and re-measuring and cleaning everything again and again I loaded a piston in the bore and cc'ed the heads to determine all the volumes. The arias pistons were spec'd for stock stroke and stock rods and ordered at .060 over and 8-1 compression. After doing the math I came up with 7.7-1 and the online compression calculators came up at 7.9-1. I'm a happy camper. The effective compression ratio, driving the blower 11% under will result in 7-8lbs of boost and a 12.3-1 dynamic compression. This should work well with 93 pump gas as the Hemi chambers can endure a little more compression without detonation.

Picture in the hole and afterwards disassembled on the bench. The black goop on the piston is moly lube that I used to seal rings to check the cylinder volume. This kind of work takes time and patients.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #100]

02-27-2011 08:56 PM 1930u- Assembling the 392
Today I installed all the studs and the crank. The main bearing clearance and end play was perfect. Now that I know the fit it correct I will remove the crank and install the rear main seal. I'll be back at it in a day or two.






(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #99]

Pages (45): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.