Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 1930u's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 1930u's profile Entries: 231
Views: 89465
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (47): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

03-05-2011 07:49 PM 1930u- Assembling the 392

I'm trying to stage everything in the cleanest environment possible. I'm a stickler for clean parts. Back in high school I took a vocational auto mechanics class and the instructors Carl Combs and Don Cup really stayed on us to keep things clean. During those years I built a 13.5-1, 409 and a really cool 394 Olds for my buddies T-Bucket.

Here's the stock rods all completely reconditioned and re-bushed and honed to accept new full floating wrist pins and buttons.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #101]

03-05-2011 07:19 PM 1930u- Assembling the 392

Here's the way the day started. After re-inspecting and re-measuring and cleaning everything again and again I loaded a piston in the bore and cc'ed the heads to determine all the volumes. The arias pistons were spec'd for stock stroke and stock rods and ordered at .060 over and 8-1 compression. After doing the math I came up with 7.7-1 and the online compression calculators came up at 7.9-1. I'm a happy camper. The effective compression ratio, driving the blower 11% under will result in 7-8lbs of boost and a 12.3-1 dynamic compression. This should work well with 93 pump gas as the Hemi chambers can endure a little more compression without detonation.

Picture in the hole and afterwards disassembled on the bench. The black goop on the piston is moly lube that I used to seal rings to check the cylinder volume. This kind of work takes time and patients.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #100]

02-27-2011 07:56 PM 1930u- Assembling the 392
Today I installed all the studs and the crank. The main bearing clearance and end play was perfect. Now that I know the fit it correct I will remove the crank and install the rear main seal. I'll be back at it in a day or two.






(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #99]

02-27-2011 07:46 PM 1930u- 392 parts picking and collecting

I started buying parts for the Plymouth about 10 years ago. I spent most of the day Saturday digging out parts. It's amazing to me...parts that were wrapped to keep clean and stored in a controlled environment still collect dust. So I spent a lot of time cleaning and polishing. This hemi project has been a real adventure.





(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #98]

02-27-2011 07:32 PM 1930u- Stud kit

Today I bottom tapped all the main and head bolt holes again and then installed a stud kit.





(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #97]

Pages (47): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.