Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 1930u's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 1930u's profile Entries: 231
Views: 87788
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (47): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47

11-02-2008 07:03 PM More on homemade front fenders
I wanted to roll a bead reveal around my front fenders but my light duty bead roller wouldn't do it. I started on the fender mounts today. Going to attach to the caliper brackets. For now I'm just tacking for mock up. I will make a new one piece plate when I detail and rebuild the chassis. A few more pics.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #31]

11-01-2008 06:15 PM Homemade Front Fenders
I made the front fenders today. Still haven't figured out the mounting system yet but tomorrows another day. I started out with some Bass Pro Shop off the self boat trailer fenders. I had to spilt them and remove a 1" section to make them narrower. Then I had to expand (open up) the radius to match the tire size. I am also going to roll a bead completely around the fenders. I'm not sure if I'll be able to with my roller as the metal is pretty thick.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #30]

10-19-2008 07:00 PM Roof Hole Finally Filled
It's been a while since I last posted. Fall is settling in and I'm really disappointed with my progress over the summer. I didn't get to spend as much time on the 30 as I wanted too. I did get the roof hole filled. What a job that was. I didn't want it to be just a flat sheet. The only way I had to work it was with a big mallet over my anvil, vise, sand bags, a giant rock and few big pieces of pipe. It has just a slight compound curve (radius) in all directions. I'm an idiot. Wish I had an english wheel.

Once I got a bit of a curve in the sheet I set jacks and a porta-power inside the car and jacked the roof opening flanges upward springing them a bit. I also bent some 3/8" rod and tacked it in to help support the sheet while I played with it. Then I laid the sheet over the opening and trimmed and trimmed until it would just drop into the opening. Then I let the jacks down until everything bound up under tension. The roof opening flanges when relaxed actually grabbed the sheet when I released the jacks. I guess you could say it was spring loaded. I looked it over and the contours looked natural. I tacked it up and it looks pretty good. The spring effect actually loaded the sheet and eliminated any what I call pop canning.

Here's a few pics.




(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #29]

08-16-2008 09:37 PM Bear Claw latch installation
My left door from hell... hinge and door fit issues are under control. I still have some tweaking to do but I got things close enough to install the Bear Claw latches. I opted for the larger design latch set.

I was worried about having enough room for the latch to clear my window run channel but it worked out fine. Very close but it's going to work. For now I just barely have the latch and striker plate tack welded in.

The door latches nicely with a little free play when its closed. To be honest it only took me about 1 hour to intall the latch and striker as pictured but I have a lot of grinding and welding to do. I also have to do the other side. I will also need to figure out where and how to install bump stops somewhere on the door jambs.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #28]

08-14-2008 09:27 PM Hinges and Doors
After much work and help from the folks on the forum I have the doors back on. I used a universal design hinge from Speedway Motors. A very good product. I had to cut, drill and tap them and then worked for days to get the door gaps and fit right. I still have much work to do but for rough in I'm happy. Once I shim the body and cowl to line up up body and door reveal lines I will do the final gap work and fitment. After that I will install the bear claw latches.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #27]

Pages (47): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.