Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: 1930u's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View 1930u's profile Entries: 219
Views: 72661
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries


Pages (44): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44

02-28-2008 07:26 PM metal working
It's been about a month since my last entry. I've been working every weekend metal working the body. I have made lots of progress. The sand blaster is a wonderful tool as it discovered some thin areas... I would have otherwise missed. I'm so glad I didn't just cover everything with POR 15, Rust Bullet or KBS Rust Seal. I have the folks on this forum to thank for that. I'll be using those products but only as added protection over epoxy primer on seams, etc.

I butt welded all the cut out panel work. I also cut flaps in the body and peeled the sheet metal back in some areas, so I could access the of the inner areas of the body that escaped the sand blaster. Once inside I blasted and treated with Phosphoric acid.
For the most part I'm done with the hard core metal repair. Still have to weld in the roof and skin the rumble lid but after what I've been through it will be easy.

I also fabbed up a body mount system using hockey pucks, 1/4" plate steel and steel pipe as mount alignment flanges.

Soon I will begin setting up the window and door latch hardware. This has been a great learning experience but it's a litttle disapointing to have done so much work and still not have a car. I have nothting...oh well.

I will post update PICS this weekend.


  [Entry #14]

01-28-2008 08:49 PM Remove the rust Dirty Job
Gosh it was almost looking like a car and I took it apart again. All this work and I still have NOTHING!

Oh well...this is my blasting work over the Christmas Holiday.

I used an industrial pressure blaster with a 1/2 nozzle and 150-psi construction compressor. My operating pressure ranged between 80-100 PSI. I did the whole car over a two-day period. I had all sorts of problems with the blaster. If not for that, I could have easily done the whole thing in about 4-5 hours. Even with all the messing around I only had about 7 hours in it total. I bought about 600 lbs. of sand from Lowe's. Just swept it up with a broom and snow shovel and kept using it. MAJOR SAFTEY item is a respirator. Look on your media bags or the MSDS and it will tell you what to use. DO NOT TAKE CHANCES ON PROTECTING YOURSELF!

After I got it blasted I used aviation rust preventor on the bare metal and absolutely poured the phosphoric acid to all the nooks and crannies. It's light enough- I can turn it on its side and even upside down to get at everything.

As for the sands dunes in my garage...when finished I just rolled up my plastic tent walls and shoveled it into a wheel barrel and returned it to nature. Then turned the water hose loose on the rest of it. Now that it's naked, I'm going to hammer, dolly, weld, shrink, cut, patch and take care of as many imperfections as possible before spraying the epoxy.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #13]

01-27-2008 05:52 PM Rough fab work done
In October I made this 30'X30' plastic tent work area and rolled the old Series U in for the winter. Figured it would heat up a little better than the whole shop and keep the dust and dirt down in the rest of the garage. At this point the motor and trans have been in and out, so all mounts, etc. are done. The doors were on and swinging freely but will need more adjustment when I move on to finish work (they were a job). I also scaled the car for weight balance. I tried to get a little more of the weight to the rear. It weighs about 1975 pounds as pictured.

All the ergonomic stuff like seat postion, and swing pedals is also done. The pedals are adjustable front to rear and up and down. The seats will mount on regular adjusters but they will also sit in an adjustable fixture that will extend from the roll bar loop. Kinda like a stock car seat.

My goal for winter is to get it blasted, acid washed and coated with epoxy primer.



(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #12]

01-08-2008 07:18 PM In with the Hemi and Super T-10
Here's a shot fabbing in the Hemi and trans. I used a Hot Heads 392 Hemi to Chevy manual trans adapter. Hot Heads makes a super adapter. Please note in previous pictures I'm using the old school chrome bellhousing from back in the day. I bet they won't even let me near the drag strip with that thing. I plan to keep it wrapped with a ballistic blanket. It just looked to cool not to use.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #11]

01-08-2008 07:04 PM Ergonomics
This is how things shook out with motor/trans mount work and steering wheel and swing pedals. I have since modified the clutch/brake pedal mounting assembly and master cylinders to provide up/down and front to rear adjustments. The steering wheel location and shifter are perfect for me.


(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #10]

Pages (44): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.