Well, I decided that I would not be doing this "low budget build" justice, unless I "clipped" it..So, after much research, I have decided to use a Jag. front suspension clip...As you can see, the suspension is self sustaining within its own crossmember..I will need to notch and weld into existing frame..I still want to be driving this truck before summers end so, I HAVE to KICK butt to get this in..All of this, AND working 2 jobs...ugh...
Anyways, thought you all might like to see some progress!
Ok, well I got the front tires on the wheels, and mounted on the truck..I also got both back wheels onto the rims, but still need to seal the bead with air..(ran out of light, working outside sucks!) Also, something interesting that I found when I broke the bead on the last rear tire..It was running with a tube..I had never seen one with a tube, granted I recognize that I "haven't seen it all", but thought that was interesting..incidentally, it was also the only tire still holding air, AND it was the toughest one to get off the rim!
I cannot say how glad I am to be done with that part of the job..I like my manual tire changer, but I'll be honest..IF a guy has the money to just pay and have it done, then do that...It is alot of work, some cussing, and a little blood...In the end, I like the fact that I can say that I did ALL of the work myself, even mounting the tires!
Now, I need to move onto the back brakes..They seem to be locked up..(actually, just as I typed that, I realized that the truck might have been in gear) I'll check that tonight, before I go tearing into the rear drums! I have a soft brake pedal..I was going to bleed all the brakes, but I couldn't get the fitting loose on the front, I am hoping I can bleed the rears, and that will fix the prob..
I'll keep you posted, and I will post pics of the progress soon!
Up next will be installing the turn signal switch, and installing the new steering wheel..Then I'm pulling it back out of the garage to install the seat and clean up the garage to make more room!
Small update on 'Ol Blue...I picked up 2 front tires at a swap meet, so I'm switching gears and mounting them on my fronts, and mounting some other used tires that I had for the rear..I also sprayed some rubberized undercoating to the front inner fenders, frame, etc.. I will be bleeding the front brakes tomorrow, and starting on the rears!
On a side note..I noticed while at the store, a rustoleum "Metallic" in a spray paint..(11 oz. cans) I was curious if anyone has used these? I know spraying metallics in a spray gun is substantially more difficult, so I am a little concerned about the results I could expect..I have researched and I think I could do the whole job with 20 cans, putting the job at around $80, give or take...I like the idea, because I am a fan of metallic paints, AND they have a great blue color that I want, and the silver color...(I plan on painting the roof of my cab Silver...
Well, after trying to use the tire changer without a good base, I have decided to build a base, using the receiver hitch of my F-350...My thinking is that if I move that truck, then the tire I am trying to change doesn't need to come off!! It is crude, but it should get the job done!