Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
hotrodders.com: Project Journals: murrsue's Journal
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View murrsue's profile Entries: 18
Views: 4550
view from the beginning || now viewing most recent entries

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4

10-13-2006 11:41 AM 57 pickup 8.8 rear axle install
I'm told the Ford 8.8 rear axle is a very sturdy rearend being used often by rodders as the 9" becomes harder to find. I got my 8.8 3:73 rear out of a 98 Ranger 4x4. There are several axle ratios available. I even saw a 4:11 ratio. I don't have the exact width handy but I think it's 1-2" narrower than the Volare clip I put in front. This should work well for getting some wider tires in back. The 8.8 is also offset 2" one way and I'm not sure of the reason why. My engine and tranny are already 1" offset in the engine bay to give more room on the drivers side, so the offset 8.8 should be okay.

I had some axle door codes with me when I went shopping at the wreckers that were helpful.

My donor already had the box off so that helped. I pulled it as one unit after drilling all the rivets out of the frame brackets. It took a couple of trips and all the batteries I own plus some I borrowed to drill those damn rivets. I got brackets, springs, axle and e-brake cables all in one piece. I did remove the sway bar but make note of exactly how it goes or you'll be turning it over in your hands for a while when you go to put it on.
Get the driveshaft too. It looks like the rear yoke and ujoint will fit onto a 3 1/2" driveshaft tube but I haven't gotten that far yet.
The Ranger 4x4's 8.8 is mounted under the axle with some big spacers to lift it high. I removed the spacers and relocated the perches to mount the axle on top of the springs. I won't know how final height works out until the body is back on. The spring frame brackets are bolted to the frame with grade 8 bolts and I do have some adjustment there if needed. Pinion angle is close but will have to be tweeked when the body's back on.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #18]

10-13-2006 10:59 AM 57 pickup Volare IFS conversion
Lining up the engine . I had to figure out where the rad and the firewall were. These are measurements you want to take before dissasembly. I had to check another close by 57. The engine is offset 1" toward the pass. side. ( The plate on the block where the engine mount is was a dumb idea that was later scrapped. In the end I used 1964 SBC motor mounts as recommended by others. There's a picture of the pass. side motor mount and a picture of my ugly (but functional) tranny crossmember (700 r4 trany).

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #17]

10-13-2006 10:41 AM 57 pickup Volare IFS conversion
Weld gussets on the inside.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #16]

10-13-2006 10:36 AM 57 pickup Volare IFS conversion
Weld in after doing some more double checking from points on the frame for squareness.

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #15]

10-13-2006 10:33 AM 57 pickup Volare IFS conversion
I brought the clip up under the frame and clamped it in place. The wooden spacers hold it 4" below where it will eventually go. I measured up 4" to scribe my cut line on the frame. I used a sawzall and a jigsaw to cut the frame.
After I cut the frame I made some cardboard templates for if I do another truck or if anyone else wants them. They will save a lot of measuring.

(click photo to enlarge)

(click photo to enlarge)
  [Entry #14]

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4