Got the left front fender widened, the filler panel tacked on and the fender clamped in place. Looks great! I started on the right side, which should go faster now that I've done one. My initial plan was to bolt the filler panel on, but that won't really work, as the flange on the original fender isn't sharply folded. I don't think it'd look right. So, they're welded on, but I'll never return it to original. If the next guy wants to, he can cut the extentions off and repaint the fenders!
Got the tailgate hinged and latches in. Both from a Ranger pickup, worked out well. I spent yesterday afternoon and a couple of hours today getting the front fender brackets modified to clear the new steering box and idler. Hung the front fenders and clamped them in place so as to accurately measure the filler panel needed to widen them.
My buddy John offered to help me make the bedside panels, using his break to make a "bead". This will let me use much lighter stock, probably 16 or even 18 ga, with the stiffening ribs. It'll look interesting too. He also said he could help me make the running boards, doing a bunch of little bitty breaks to make the rolled edge. It'll soon start to take shape!
Two trips to ALRO steel, one trip to Tractor supply for more wire, C02, and new cut off wheels for the chop saw, I've got the box framed in for the truck. It's a shade under 8' long, and will be 49" wide between the wheel wells. The sides will be "skinned" with sheet metal mounted between the rails and uprights, with exposed fasteners, for a sort of "industrial" truck look. I'm particularly proud of the tailgate. I made the top roll from a scrap piece of 4" DOM tubing I sectioned with the torch. The inside of the top is a piece of 7ga. also cut with the torch, and the framing is 2x2 square tube like the rest of the box. I like it.
I happily discovered today that the donor Chev. C20 vans Reese hitch will bolt to the DT frame rails, AND serve as a bumper mount for a rear bumper. I love it when a plan comes together...
Going to start in earnest on the '47 Diamond T 201 pickup now that fall is here. I bought a set of '35 Auburn Speedster fenders, and finally got them after a 2 month ordeal with a flakey ebay seller. They are a good match for the DT fronts. Today mocked up some bedsides using tempered Masonite and 2x2's to see how it's going to look. I'd originally planned on a 7 or 7 1/2' box, but 8' looks better with the long fenders and long wheelbase. Looks too "stubby" at 7 1/2', which is what I made the mock up bed.