Fired the '36 up yesterday after getting the driveshaft in and fluids topped off. And scrabling around to catch coolant running out of the blocks drain holes I forgotten to put plugs in, and trans fluid leaking out of not quite tight cooler line fittings, and radiator hoses leaking from not quite tight clamps, but hey, that's part of the plan, isn't it?
I have to figure out why it's not drawing fuel from the tank, it fires right up with a tablespoon or so down the carb throat, but I don't want to overdo that, so two or three rounds of that was all I did. No doubt something simple, and I'm off to do that now.
Just wanted to get this "Milestone" post up in the project journal! I feel good...
Waiting for the driveshaft for the '36, so I worked today on the Diamond T. I've listed the original drivetrain stuff on ebay, and since the truck was still on the original rear axle, I pulled it, and installed the Dana 70. Put the other two Dodge truck wheels and tires on it, which got them out of the way as well. I like it, although I need to pull about half the leaves out of the springs and put some lowering blocks in it.
I also wasted about an hour narrowing the center link from the C20 van donor, only to realize after I was done that the van steering box is almost vertical in the chassis, and the center link is different than the truck ones. The one ton truck spindles also use a much smaller tie rod stud, so, I need to get a 3/4 or one tone truck steering linkage. No big deal.
My wife wedged herself into the Fordillac to help bleed the brakes, and opined that it doesn't fit. I set it up to fit me just fine, and my 5'4" frame is a little more tolerant of a tight fit than her 5'9" height. Even with the seat all the way back, she can't get her right foot under the steering column from the gas to the brake. Hmmmm....Drive it two footed I say.
She surprised me by saying she was very dissapointed that she may not be able to drive it, so I'm going to finesse the column a little and try to get a fraction more height. I can massage the column to clear the exhaust manifold and tilt it up (the box has slotted mounting holes and does allow a little adjustment) to try to accomadate a taller driver. It is admittedly a very tight cockpit, so we'll try to make it better. I can't raise the engine, and it's already offset to the right an inch, so I'm limited.
Anyway, here's some photos of the spousal unit trying the car on, and the freshly painted (cured in the oven!) exhaust manifolds. Thanks Kim, for being tolerant!
Got a bunch of little, but important stuff done over the weekend. The big thing was FINALLY getting the brakes bled, a job that seemed impossible untill my buddy Mark stopped by and asked if I'd adjusted the new shoes when I put everything back together. Well, duh...
After I did that, HURRAY!!! Good feeling pedal, all seems well. Polished the windshield frame and posts after a fight with the anodized coating on the MGB bits, "restored" the badly cracked banjo wheel, got the exhaust manifolds painted (cured 'em in the oven in the kitchen) and made the fuel filler for the really cool Chris Craft bronze filler cap and ring.
Just waiting now for the driveshaft, I'm rebuilding the Q'jet, and hopefully this next day or so, be able to fire it up for the first time. Pretty exciting, it's been a long time getting to this point, but I think it's all gonna be worth it!