Haven't done much, but I did get the steering box and column mounted, although I managed to scratch the column up rather badly. It'll touch up.
I also laid some tape over the top bows to get an idea how the top will look. I'm using the fabric top from the '02 Sebring convert the bows came from intact, and have to order some matching top material to make a rear curtain. I'm goning to steam bend an oak rear bow to replace the aluminum one from the Sebring. I'm mounting the top with staples and a wire on strip, rather than the Sebrings slip in plastic track system, as I'm making a rear curtain.
I scavenged two of the seat adjuster tracks from the captains chairs in the van I parted out today for my Diamond T, they'll work perfectly under the bomber seats in the Fordillac. My wife was appaled that the seats weren't gonna be adjustable, so, now they are. They are pretty neat, very low and compact, so they won't raise the seats more than about an inch.
I'v given up on the thought of getting the body painted this fall. The firewall is painted and the chassis, so I can get it all wired, upholstery done, plumb the chassis and get it running, and then paint it come spring.
I spent the last two days stripping the '93 Chev van donormobile for the DT. I've decided that not choosing a career as an auto dismantler was a good thing, given how long it took me! I do have a big "Pile 'O Parts" though, to show for my hard work:
complete wiring harness
master cyl/booster/proportioning valve/pedal assembly
fuel tank, in tank pump and lines
Reese frame hitch and trailer wiring harness with brake controller
Lots of fasteners
All this for the DT, plus:
A set of 4 Chev pickup ralley wheels with brand new 225x75R15 tires to put on my '48 Pontiac convert
enough wire from the accessory lighting and other stuff in the conversion van to completely wire the '36 Fordillac.
The van cost $800, I'm scrapping the rind filled with all the scrap steel I'd been accumulating. todays price for scrap here is $195/ton for cars, I should net almost 600 bucks. Not too shabby! I also have about 300lbs of scrap aluminum, so it should just about pay for the entire van with some $$ left over.
I scored a set of 5 brand new, never mounted, BFG 245x75R17 load range E tires, so I need one more of those, and 6 17" dually wheels. I'll sell the set of Dodge 8 lug alum rims and Michelons, as I can't use them now. I may scrap the rims, considering how much aluminum is going for now.
Having never pulled an engine from a van before, I was kind of stymied as to how to get the engine out from under the cowl. I ended up jacking it up with a floor jack, cut the mount pads off the crossmember and rolled it ahead untill I could finally pick it out from the front with my cherry picker. If I'd been thinking, I'd have stripped the wiring harness out first, then cut the cowl and windshield right out along with the core support, and lifted it up and out. Live and learn...
Progress has been slow, but in between getting the '62 finished up, camping, work, and life in general, I've FINALLY gotten the '36 Fordillac body and frame united for the last time. The new Coker 7.50x16's are on the rear, the 5.00x16 cycle tires on the front, it rolls, it steers, it jounces on the springs. I surely hope to get the body shell in color this fall, but if it doesn't happen, I can still wire it, plumb it, and have it mechanically done by spring.
The stance with the REALLY tall rear tires is killer, although when I saw the tires before they were mounted, I thought I'd made an error in size selection. They are light truck tires, bias ply. I have a notion to get a set of Salt Flats, bead blast the centers, and mount some tall skinny radials for long distance trips, but I really like the way the artillery wheels and wide whites look now. This combo should be fine for running around locally.
My son, home from Vegas, convinced me the rear fenders need to be widened to cover the (really pretty wide) rear tires, I have to modify the dash to accept the instruments, and there are some little things to finesse on the body and hood, so there's plenty of work to not have to rush thru.
Again, I'm having trouble posting, but here's the third try...Got the 472 Caddy/400 turbo installed in the completed '36 Fordillac chassis. It looks suitably "industrial". The engine looks massive in the light color. My eight year old neighbor boy came over as I was lowering it onto the mounts, and said "WOW! That looks like the motor out of a tank or something!" Exactly what I think, too!
Well, OK, just a little. Got the frame and axles in color, and the engine/trans painted in between painting the '62 Impala. The Impala is going to my son in 'Vegas in two weeks, so the pressure was on! It looks fantastic, I'm glad now I painted it!
The '36's dark Olive green looked hideous in the can and even while I mixed it, but looks great on the parts. I have the engine painted too, it's battle ship grey with black accessories, looks very "industrial", goes well with the quasi-military theme.