This morning I got the w/s posts and frame fitted to the cowl and the body work pretty much done. A little finessing and it'll be good to go. More work than I'd thought (what isn't?) to fit them and get them adjusted and fitted properly, and the body work finished up. Lots of tedious work fitting, filling, grinding, refilling and sanding, but it's close.
Next up, get the polyester primer/filler on, paint the underside of the body with truck bed liner, paint the chassis and running gear, get that assemble so it's a roller again and set the body! That'll feel good, and I can then get the garage cleaned up and pull the chevy van in and start tearing that bad boy apart. Maybe I should wait on that, and drive it this winter instead of my pickup?
FINALLY I got some primer on the '36. It's taken me forerver to get this accomplished, for one thing and another. I (sort of) cleaned up the shop enough Monday, and did what little prep stuff needed to be done, and yesterday got a couple coats of epoxy primer on everything.
Today I'm working on finishing up the bodywork on the body tub. I'm going to go in the body shop supply place I use and try to get them to give me a gallon of filler to replace the crap one I bought the other day. It's a brand I'd never heard of, some "european formula", which I think has been on their shelf forever. The guy gave me a "deal" on it, but he should have paid me to take it. Doesn't mix consistantly, doesn't harden consistantly, no matter how much or how little hardner I used. It goes off in chunks. It's been miserable to try to use.
Anyway, at least some progress is being made, and I feel good about what is done.
Just got home with the DT's "new" drivetrain, wheels and tires. The wheels and tires came home IN the new drivetrain, tossed in the back of the lovely '93 Chev conversion van. I went to pick get the van, and had to put gas in it to get home, so I figured since I had gas, and the PO had left his plate on, I might as well drive it to fetch the wheels and tires I bought from my buddy Tom.
Turns out, it really drives pretty well. In fact, if the tires weren't absolute junk, it would probably be OK to use as is. The cruise works, it's not at all rusty, and other than some very minor repairs needed and a good shampooing, it would be presentable. In fact, my buddy thought it was too nice to part out. It's not THAT nice! It smelled way better with the tires I bought from him inside, as well. Here's some photos of the best 800 dollar van on the planet, and the DT with the Dodge one ton wheels propped up agianst the side. Looks cool, I think.
I've spent the last couple of days doing the body work on the '36 Fordillac body tub, and have gotten to the point where it's looking pretty good. No going back now to the "Rat Rod", patina'd look, it's all bare metal and filler, and looks like it'll be super straight. The chopped up tub really looks like something that Ford shoulda done. Kind of a Roadster Victoria.
Anyway, I sculpted a (very nice, I think) bead along the truncated rear section of the body to match the wheelwell bead, and continued the doors upper character line up and into the new part which blends into the dash. These were done with "MarGlas" short strand reinforced filler, which I also like to use over all the weld seams and edges. It's super stron, waterproof, and then requires just a thin skin of finish filler.
I've got a couple of more days of hard work ahead before it's ready for primer, but it's coming along. I'm anxious to get the frame and suspension pieces primed and painted, but I want to see the bodywork done, so that stuff will stay clean, bondo dust and overspray free.
It's exciting to see it coming along, although I thought I'd be driving it by now. No point in rushing it at this point, so I'm taking my time to make it nice.