Ordered up all the parts for the 472, it got a little scarey! Yikes, a Chev. is WAAAY cheaper to build, but we all knew that anyway. Pistons from Kanter,10:1's, .060 over. They were the only source I found for replacements other than 8:1 for 472's. Evidently, all the airboat guys are building 500's. MTS providing the valvetrain and all the related bits. The cam is their #10, supposedly as big as rockers and springs will tolerate, lopey idle, lots of midrange. I didn't see a need for anything more radical, it should be somewhere 420 hp + with the componants I have and 10:1 compression. I did a little head porting and clean up with their advise, I'm going to spend a little time today on the intake.
In a couple of weeks it should all be done and back together in it's new home!
I'm getting ready to start spending money now! Dropped the block, heads and crank off at a machine shop this morning. They'll check things out, and hopefully not have to do much more than ream the ridge and hone the cyl's. If it has to be bored, we'll go as big as we can. The heads I'll do a little clean up of the bowls on, and they will install the big valves from MTS. That's also where the cam and lifters are coming from.
I'm taking the trans in to another shop for freshening up and a different valve body, to move the shift points up and make it a little snappier. I don't want the "lazy" stock shifts. Hopefully that's all it'll need, other than a leaky front seal, it was OK.
Pics are the piston I busted stupidly, the engine all apart and the (I think) quite pretty front of the frame and spreader bar. So, that's all for now!
Posting a couple of pics of the frame. Tommorow I hope to get the engine completely torn down, and ready to go the machine shop. If I thought I'd have some warm enough weather on the horizon, I'd blast the frame, axles and hardware, but I think it's gonna stay cold long enough to have everything rust slightly in the shop before I can get stuff primed. Meanwhile, I've plenty to do to keep busy at it!
Went out in the cold shop this morning, fired up the propane heater for a while to take the chill off and got busy. I pulled the engine and trans, then lifted the frame off the axles and got them out from under it.
I finished up all the welding (most of the brakets, various mounts and hangers were just tacked), top and bottom, and ground the visible welds down. These were mostly at the front frame horns, where I made the V shaped spreader bar and tapered the rails down too it. Looks pretty good, if I do say so myself.
Standing back looking at it, I decieded I would make some filch plates and weld these on over the joints in the tubing rails. Since the body is channeled so far down over the rails, they won't be visible. The front kickup is hidden behind the louvered sheetmetal panels below the hood (being made from the original inner fender panels), the only exposed joint is directly under the headlight buckets, so I did the insides of the rails there. They'll be visible under the lights, but I think it looks kinda neat. I'm not going to grind those welds down, they look pretty good for stick welding with my ancient Lincoln "buzz box". I also gusseted the mounts for the rear upper control arms, and the side rails themselves where they kick out in the center. That should stiffen up the side rails considerably. Looks neat too.
I pulled the heads and intake off the engine, and remembered I'd had a valve job done on it just before we quit driving the '48 Pontiac convert it was in at the time. It all came back to me, I'd put new lifters in it as it had a "tickey" one, and had the valves done, replaced two exhaust valves at the time that were burned. Very small ridge at the tops of the bores, hopefully it won't need an overbore, as I really don't want to have to put pistons in it. Of course, half the exhaust manifold bolts broke off in the heads, so I'll have to drill those out and thread the holds. No big deal, just a nuciance.
A pro painter buddy of mine lent me his Dupont "SpectraMaster" chip book, so I could find the right solids for the '36. I opened the "Yellow" spectrum, flipped to a dark olive green, YS547. Perfect. Then, flipped further up in the spectrum and found a perfect match to the Ostrich hide interior fabric, YS184. Equally as quickly ran thru the reds to RS915 for accent stripes, wheel accents and suspension bits. Took all of 5 minutes, and found three perfect, dark organic shades that really fit the car and period look I want. I'm excited. By Olive Green. I must be easy to please.
I finally got the 4th wheel to complete the set of "artillery" style wheels I bought on ebay a month and a half ago. What a nightmare. If I didn't want sound juvenile and petty, I'd go on and on about what a jerk this seller was, insinuated it was my fault I only got three of the four, and howled when I filed a complaint and a claim with paypal. But, I'm more mature and classy than that!
So, now the fun stuff begins, building the thumpin old Caddy, waiting for more boxes of cool stuff to get dropped off by the big brown truck, and seeing it all come together. What fun!